Well I logged 9 miles of exercise today in a Trifecta of Fitness!
- 3.5 miles walked (1.5 in the morning, 2 at lunch)
- 1.5 miles ran
- 4 miles biked
My lunch time walk was gorgeous with a capital G. Unbelievable weather – perfectly cool, the sun was shining – I couldn’t help but smile :) After work I hopped on my bike and headed to the grocery store to pick up some extra things I had forgotten this weekend. The store is one mile away so I biked a mile past it and turned around, made my shopping pit stop then biked home! 4 miles done and done!
After I got home, I re-heated dinner. Yes, that’s right – I made Chili last night!
I made it beforehand for a couple of reasons:
- Because chili is always better the second day
- So Monday night’s dinner would be ready for us after a long day at work!
Here’s my fool-proof recipe I use every time:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 small onion, diced
Salt and pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 29oz can tomato sauce
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can baked beans
2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
Season to taste with: Chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes
2-3 Tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
1. Sauté onions in a large soup pot, in olive oil and salt and pepper for 10 minutes on medium low until translucent. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for another 2 minutes.
2. Add tomato sauce, black beans, baked beans and shredded chicken to the pot and stir to combine. Add seasonings, stir to combine, turn heat up to medium and let simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, crackers and enjoy!
Like I said, this is my go-to chili recipe that I make it least once a week all Fall and Winter long – it is SO easy and SO delish! I LOVE adding the can of baked beans because it’s a) more beans (love beans!) and b) they add a subtle sweetness to the chili.
You can use ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken or just use more beans to make it all vegetarian! You can also add different mix-ins like corn, green chilis, or whatever additional seasonings you like.
Heart-warming, perfectly spicy and ridiculously easy!
Well, bad news at the IGE household…we have a clogged kitchen sink!! One minute I’m happily washing dishes, the next minute I’m up to my wrists in water! I’ll spare you the disgusting details – but a visit from my Dad, several plungers and gag inducing noises later…we called a plumber. I’m off to anxiously await his arrival – wish us luck!!