Well, I have had a productive day! Checklist:
- Work – done
- Pumpkin Spice Latte – drank
- It was soooo good – everything I could have hoped for, and more!
- De-humidifier – installed
- If you need one of these guys, I suggest buying one soon, as they are all on sale/clearance for the season. I got one that was originally $199 for $100!
- Kitchen – cleaned and sanitized
- Walk – walked
- 4.25 miles in just under an hour. My ball & socket joints will be sore tomorrow, but it was so insanely gorgeous out!
- Dinner – eaten
We had Crispy Tilapia Filets!
Remember when my Mom and I split that big package of fresh Tilapia filets from Costco? I made a portion of mine the “Old Bay Way” and she made hers dredged in light & crispy panko bread crumbs. Her description of it the next day sounded so delicious – I knew I had to steal the idea!
- 2 fish filets
- flour (not pictured)
- 2 egg whites
- panko bread crumbs
- Lemon Pepper seasoning
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- olive oil (not pictured)
1. Get out three bowls. In one bowl combine flour & pepper. In the second bowl, whisk 2 egg whites. In the third bowl combine panko bread crumbs and seasonings listed above.
2. Take your fish filets and dredge in flour & pepper mixture on both sides. Tap off excess flour and transfer to egg whites. Dip both sides of filets in whites until coated. Transfer filets to panko & seasoning mixture and coat both sides.
3. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and sauté the filets for ~3 minutes on each side.
CRUNCH-TASTIC! Seriously panko bread crumbs are one of the best things in my pantry. They are so crispy and crunchy, I’d swear this was fried. Thankfully, nothing is fried in the IGE household. No way, no how.
I also steamed some Fresh Green Beans to go along with the crispy filets. I like my green beans steamed until they’re pretty soft. Think canned green bean, soft. How about you?
Do you guys ever use panko bread crumbs? I just love “fake out” meals like this – all the fun of crunchy fried foods, but without the artery clogging health hazards!! :D
Check out some other things I’ve made with panko bread crumbs:
Oh, I got a couple questions today that I seem to get on a regular basis, so I thought I’d just share with you all!
1. Don’t your apples turn brown when you take them for lunch?
If you put them in gladware/tupperware container or a plastic baggie, no they really don’t turn all that brown. But even if they do – the brown is purely cosmetic. It doesn’t change the taste of the apple at all!
2. Do you use dressing on your salads?
Yep I do. Usually is a light Kraft variety of dressing – House Italian or Roasted Garlic – that I usually “dilute” with balsamic vinegar. It takes away the “bottled” dressing taste and extends my dressing so I get more salad coverage without adding too many more calories! :D
Got any more questions? Send ‘em my way. Maybe I’ll even setup an FAQ page :)
I am so jazzed about breakfast tomorrow – I’m trying something that I’ve been craving for a really long time!!
What kind of salad dressing do you like to use?