Given the cozy, rainy day and in an effort to channel my meatless side this week, I give you an easy, comforting and healthy meatless Monday meal: Creamy No-Cream Pasta!
Creamy No-Cream Pasta
2 servings pasta
2 chopped broccoli heads
3-4 Tablespoons chopped, sun-dried tomatoes
1 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
1/4 cup minced onion
1 clove minced garlic
1 can great northern beans, drained & rinsed
1. Heat large pot of water for pasta. When boiling, scoop out some water (about 1/2 cup) and drop in chopped, sun-dried tomatoes to hydrate.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. About two minutes into the cooking time, add broccoli to the pot to cook with the pasta.
3. Meanwhile, in medium size skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil on medium low heat. Sauté onions until slightly brown (~3 minutes.) Add garlic and stir constantly to avoid burning for ~30 seconds .
4. Add beans to the skillet and mash with the back of a spoon. Keep on low heat while pasta and broccoli finish cooking.
5. Drain pasta & broccoli and return to pot. Add mashed bean, onion and garlic mixture, sun-dried tomatoes and water they hydrated in, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a couple dashes of hot sauce.
6. Stir thoroughly to combine and enjoy!
I am telling you – there is nothing more comforting than this dish. The mashed white beans makes this wonderfully thick and creamy sauce that gets thinned out ever so slightly by the water used to hydrate the sun-dried tomatoes.
The hot sauce just really sparks the whole dish up. It doesn’t make it spicy, but gives a wonderful bright, zing to everything – it’s just perfect!
Those sweet, chewy bits of sun-dried tomato are the perfect pops of flavor and texture throughout the dish, too. I love sun-dried tomatoes!!
This is a perfect rainy-day, uber compf meal, that I promise you’ll just love!
What’s your favorite rainy-day, ultra comfy food of choice?