Good morning everyone! I feel SO much better today – I went to bed at 9:00 last night (yes, that G in IGE occasionally stands for Grandma) and awoke feeling like a million bucks. Thanks for your well wishes!
I had never been and wasn’t sure what to expect, so you can imagine how delighted I was to find racks of freshly baked, uniquely flavored breads, sweet cookies and chewy fruit bars, locally made peanut and almond butters…and FREE SAMPLES! :D
I chose to sample the Cranberry Orange bread. Note: Great Harvest’s “sample” = a thick, chewy, massive slice. Topped with some freshly whipped vanilla butter – I was in HEAVEN.
I ended up buying a loaf of the Cranberry Orange bread (which, bonus – is whole wheat!) and Ben picked out a loaf of White Bread.
Here’s Ben’s White Bread. It’s got that moist “squish” and melts in your mouth.
And my Orange Cranberry whole wheat bread. Slightly sweet with whole, dried cranberries and orange peel studding the entire loaf.
I’ve said before that I am not much of a “bread person” – but throw a specialty loaf in my direction, and I’ll love you forever :)
Just look at that!
I sliced my loaf in half – one half to munch on throughout the week and the other half to keep in the freezer so I can enjoy at another time! Later gator!
I used a slice of my new bread as a dipper in today’s breakfast: Warm Brown Rice Pudding.
- 3/4 cup cooked, brown rice
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 mashed banana
- splash of vanilla
- sprinkle of sliced almonds
- sprinkle of cinnamon
I heated the rice, milk and banana in a small pan until they were warm and then added my vanilla, almonds and cinnamon.
Served with a slice of my new bread – this was a breakfast dream come true!
The rice was so creamy and chewy, and I honestly thought it would need a sprinkling of brown sugar, but the sweet banana got the job done. Love this breakfast!
Lunch today will be a Sweet & Crunchy Salad.
In the mix:
- Mixed greens
- Pomegranate seeds
- White peach
I just can’t get over those pomegranate seeds! I think Anne K said it best when she described them as beautiful pink pearls…gorgey :)
I also packed a snack of some White Popcorn from last weekend. I highly recommend this brand – it does not taste light at all!
Have a great Thursday everyone. One more day until the weekend – keep on keepin’ on!
It’s Thursday, which means it’s Three Question Thursday time! Said in my best Joel McHale voice ;)
1. Where did you go on your last vacation?
2. What’s your favorite Fall/Winter holiday?
3. What was your first job?
2. I’m going to have to go with Thanksgiving. From drinking mimosas while watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, to playing cards and board games while we wait for the Turkey to roast, to all the traditional Thanksgiving Day dishes – the whole day is heartwarming!
3. This is hard to re-visit in my mind…my first job was a grocery sacker at the local grocery store. It was awful! They wouldn’t promote me to checker because I looked too young so I quit!