Good morning everyone – happy Friday!
Now you may or may not know that on Friday’s I sometimes feel the need to make a little somethin’ somethin’ special for breakfast. Today’s breakfast was definitely special and seriously.amazing…Roasted Asparagus Egg Scramble!
All I did was combine 2 egg whites + 1 whole egg, salt & pepper, hot sauce, leftover roasted asparagus and some shredded, cheddar cheese.
Mix together and scramble in a hot skillet for two minutes and you’ve got yourself a genuine, extra-special Friday morning breakfast…FAST! This took me mere minutes to whip up!
As the eggs were scrambling, I toasted up a slice of whole wheat bread and smeared it with some of that to-die for, Trader Joe’s pumpkin butter.
What a way to kick off a Friday morning! This was hands down, the best egg scramble I’ve ever made. The roasted asparagus gave it such a unique flavor, and I could really taste the cheese in there. Healthful, filling and tasty. :D
Well, I’m headed south of the border for lunch today…my co-workers and I are going out for Mexican!
Some Mexican dishes can be a healthful eating nightmare – think chips, cheese…and more cheese! Here are my tips for making healthier choices when dining out Mexican style:
- Choose soft shell tacos over hard shell. Hard shells are fried, whereas soft shells are not.
- Do yourself one better and ask for corn tortillas over flour tortillas to save even more fat and calories.
- Order black or pinto beans over refried beans, which are often made with lard or bacon.
- Skip the cheese dip for your chips. Use the gratis salsa that usually comes with your meal instead.
- On the topic of chips – hello – I could mindlessly eat an entire basket if I’m not careful! Ask for a small plate and portion out a set amount. Try and make those last for your entire meal.
- If you still don’t think you can control yourself around the chips, ask your server not to bring them out.
- Try to avoid deep fried dishes like chalupas, taquitos and chimichangas.
- Opt for healthier items like grilled chicken or shrimp and chicken or veggie fajitas.
- If you’re in the mood for a taco salad, order it without the deep-fried taco bowl. It’s basically one, big, fried tortilla chip!
- Do yourself another favor and use salsa as salad dressing.
- Ask for the sauce that would usually come slathered over your burrito or enchilada on the side, so you can dip your food into it.
- Chug water. Some Mexican food can be very salty – you’ll thank yourself later by staying hydrated throughout your meal!
- Every once in awhile…go all out. Life is short. Mexican food is delicious. :D
I definitely do not follow all of these rules when dining out in Mexican restaurants – half the fun is eating those crunchy, fresh tortilla chips and dousing your enchiladas in red sauce. Pick and choose where you can give and take, and I promise your experience will be even more rewarding!
With that – have a FAB Friday everyone!
What’s your best healthy eating tip for dining out at restaurants?