Give this cozy casserole a try for the perfect ending to a cold, winter day.
Wine-Braised Beef Shephard’s Pie
Adapted from The Kitchen Sink Recipes
Shephard’s Pie Filling:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1-1/2 – 2 lb chuck roast, cut into hunks
salt & pepper
1 cup carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1/2 large onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons flour
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 cups red wine
1-1/2 cups frozen peas
2 lbs potatoes, chopped
4 Tablespoons butter
1/2 – 3/4 cup milk
salt & pepper
1. Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Generously season chuck roast with salt & pepper and sear on both sides, about 1-2 minutes a side.
2. Add carrots, celery and onion. Stir and cook until vegetables are soft, ~8-10 minutes.
3. Sprinkle flour into pot, stir and cook for 1 minute.
4. Pour wine, water and chicken broth into pot. Stir and bring contents to a boil.
5. Put lid on Dutch oven, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2.5 hours, or until meat easily shreds, turning meat 2-3 times.
6. Remove meat from Dutch oven and shred with two forks.
7. Boil remaining liquid until thickened, about 5-6 minutes. Return shredded meat to Dutch oven and add frozen peas.
8. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and transfer mixture into oven proof casserole dish.
9. Chop and boil potatoes until tender. Drain and mash with butter, milk, salt & pepper and garlic powder.
10. Top filling mixture with mashed potatoes and some salt & pepper. Place casserole dish on a foil-lined cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.