I feel like I have so much to tell you!
1. I’m still cavity free!
2. Since I have been absolutely frozen to the bone at work lately, I bought a tiny little space heater to put at my feet. I was toasty warm all day today - bliss.
3. Last night, while my Mom and I were out shopping, I bought a cute little faux-fur coat and some leather gloves to go with!
This jacket – originally $120 and bought for $45 booyah – makes me feel like a mixture of J-Lo and a snow bunny.
And these gloves are insanely warm.
4. I had soy milk for the first time today! After the dentist, I swung by Starbucks to grab a latte on my way into work, and on a wacky impulse, ordered a skinny vanilla latte with soymilk. Verdict? The texture was SO creamy! The flavor was…different, obviously, than cow’s milk. It was at times almost gaggy, but I think it’s because it was my first time trying it. I’m going to give it another go another time to see if I still feel the same way about the taste – but the texture is spot on. What’s your verdict on soy milk?
5. This is a torsion spring. This tiny spring is the only thing that is keeping my hands in the dishwater instead of in a bag of popcorn. Apparently, one half of it busted off and, without it, the handle of the dishwasher won’t latch. Oh, and, nobody sells just the spring – only the complete dishwasher handle unit that has the spring inside it. The handle unit is $100. The spring would be approx $.01 if we could find it. But we can’t, so we have to order the entire unit. Bleh.
6. The Amy’s Light in Sodium Mexican Casserole bowl from lunch the other day was totally bomb. Cheesy, saucy – and that corn masa was incredible. Fabulous frozen meal!
7. I am in a rut. I think it’s 70% weather related, 30% me related, but I just have no motivation to workout. I have extended a personal challenge to myself, though, to get to the gym everyday for the next three days. Yes, Friday, Saturday AND Sunday. Totally doable – totally doing it. Is anybody else feeling the funk?
8. Dinner was ah-mazing tonight – Surprise Broccoli Pasta!
Surprise Broccoli Pasta is based off a recipe that I’ve made again and again from Giada’s De Laurentiis’ Everyday Pasta cookbook.
Her version is called Faralle with Broccoli, and while it is absolutely mouth watering – it also has 1/4 cup of both butter AND olive oil in it. Too rich for this chica!
Here’s my lightened up version…
Surprise Broccoli Pasta
2 servings dry pasta
2 heads of broccoli, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 anchovy filets, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
handful of spinach
1/4 cup chicken broth
1. In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to directions. At the same time, steam broccoli using whatever method you prefer.
2. In a large skillet, melt butter and olive oil over medium heat until butter melts. Cook garlic, anchovies and seasonings for ~2 minutes being careful not to burn the garlic.
3. After garlic is golden brown, add in spinach and let wilt. Add chicken broth into skillet after spinach is wilted to make a sauce.
4. Drain pasta and broccoli, then add to the skillet with the sauce. Toss to coat and serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
I personally guarantee that you would NEVER miss the extra butter and oil in this dish – it is absolute savory perfection!
In case you hadn’t guessed, the “surprise” in the name of the recipe is anchovies! Cue the ew!
Seriously, you would have NO idea that there are anchovies in this dish if it wasn’t in the ingredient list. They literally melt in the butter and oil and give the whole dish such depth of flavor. They are absolutely key and you must not be scared of them!
My other surprise is that I used Hodgson Mill Brown Rice Pasta in place of regular pasta.
This pasta is gluten, dairy and egg free – and is an excellent source of omega-3 oils from the flax seed that’s in the pasta.
See? Ben and I really liked this, but make sure not to overcook (only needs about 4 minutes!) and give it a good rinse afterwards. Other than that, it’s really good pasta, without the bloat that I sometimes feel after eating regular pasta!
The whole dish, topped with a sprinkle of salty parm and a silky drizzle of olive oil, was absolutely Heavenly.
You’ve got the freshness of the broccoli and spinach,
And the deep flavors from the butter and anchovies. Oh. Yum.
Wish I had some leftovers!!!
Well I’ve officially told you everything! It’s all out there – oh, except for one piece of exciting news that I will relay to you sometime in the next couple of days. Those boots that were made for walkin’ are going to get walked in real soon!
Have a great night!
Do you eat any ”replacement” foods? Ie soy milk instead cow’s milk, brown rice pasta instead of regular or wheat pasta?