THE SUN IS OUT!
I think we’ve gone six straight days in dreary darkness, so this day couldn’t come quick enough. It’s absolutely gorgeous outside – it least 50 degrees too!
I celebrated by cutting up a fresh pineapple this morning and snacking on it for a light breakfast while I prepared some dinners for the upcoming week. :)
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again – the world would be a much happier place if we could all have fresh pineapple every morning!
Around noon, Ben and I went over to my parent’s house for lunch – my Aunt’s Italian Sausages, Coleslaw and Fresh Fruit were on the menu!
My Mom made this simple coleslaw salad by combining a bag of pre-cut coleslaw with dressing made with a little sugar, vinegar, olive oil and other spices – including dry mustard, which tasted really, really good!
Like mother like daughter – she had fresh pineapple and strawberries for us too! Us Iowans know that when pineapple goes on sale at the grocery store – you snatch it UP! :D
And those unforgettable Italian Sausages…omg… Local, spicy Italian sausage links, simmered in homemade marinara sauce. Unreal! Usually I eat them with a nice, crusty roll and some melted provolone cheese, but I was saving my carbs for…
Chocolate Mint Pie!!!!
Seeing as how St. Patrick’s Day is this week, I thought a fun, minty and greeeeen dessert would be fun to bring. ;)
St. Patrick’s Day Chocolate Mint Pie
1 package sugar-free, fat-free instant chocolate pudding
1 1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 teaspoon mint extract, divided
1 1/2 cup whip cream, divided
green food coloring
12 mint Oreo cookies
1 pre-made Oreo cookie pie crust
1. Place Oreos in a plastic bag and crush until the cookies pieces are the size of marbles.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine pudding mix and milk. Whisk for 2 minutes, or until it is soft set. Fold in 3/4 cup cool whip and 1/4 teaspoon mint extract. Gently fold in 1 cup of crushed Oreos.
3. Pour filling into pre-made pie shell and spread until even.
(spatula licking is mandatory!)
4. In a separate bowl, combine 3/4 cup cool whip, 1/4 teaspoon mint extract and green food coloring. Pour on top of the pudding and spread until even.
5. Top with remaining Oreo cookie pieces and chill for it least 1 hour before serving. Enjoy!
Sweet, crunchy, chocolaty and minty – what more could you ask for?!
This tasted just like a big, Thin Mint – oh.yum! The best part is that it came together in mere minutes and is perfect for a quick & easy St. Patrick’s Day celebration. Give it a try!
Well, it is too gorgeous a day to be stuck inside – so I’m heading outdoors. I’m taking my new kicks out for a run!