This recipe comes from Angharad @ Eating for England!
I made this recipe up after creating its full fat and totally amazing cousin, Turkey Lasagne a few weeks ago. I really wanted to prove that an equally delicious but much more healthy version could be created. And it could! This recipe includes low fat cottage cheese, instead of ricotta, low fat versions of the other cheeses and TONS of spinach! It even got the man-seal of approval and yet it clocks in at just 200 calories and 4.4g of fat per serving, plus almost 18g of protein! Winner. You can read my original blog post about it here!
Spinach and Mushroom Lasagne
1/2 pound whole wheat lasagna noodles
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 pounds fresh spinach
15 oz low fat cottage cheese
3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1.5 cups low fat mozzarella cheese, grated
1 x 28oz can crushed plum tomatoes
1 x 6oz can tomato paste
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 egg, beaten
dash of sea salt
freshly cracked black pepper
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Fill a large bowl with the hottest tap water and place noodles into it. Allow them to sit for 20 minutes. Drain.
3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about five minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and saute for another five minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, half the basil and the parsley. Simmer on medium low heat for 15-20 minutes, until thickened.
4. Meanwhile, in a separate pan, saute the spinach until wilted. Set aside.
5. Combine cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of the parmesan, spinach, salt, half the basil, pepper and egg in a bowl. Beat until combined.
1. Lay lasagna noodles across the bottom of a 9 x 12 inch pan.
2. Spread 1/3 cheesy/spinach mixture over the pasta.
3. Add 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan on top.
4. Layer 1/3 marinara sauce over.
5. Repeat until everything is gone finishing with the mozzarella/parmesan atop a layer of marina sauce.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until bubbly