Mini Corn Dog Muffins are a fun and unique snack recipe for any special or ordinary occasion!
Are you ready for some footballllll food?!
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’re probably aware that the Super Bowl is this weekend.
Although a couple of days ago I did make the mistake of asking Ben what day of the week it was being played on. I regretted the question before I even finished asking it.
Smacks forehead. Twice. D’OH! Super Bowl Sunday most likely happens on a – wait for it – SUNDAY.
Hearty, one-sided chuckles ensued. Anyway.
Always up for a good theme week, I thought I’d share a few nibbles and bites over the next couple of days that are not only great for the big game this weekend, but would also be a hit at any party or get-together during the year. Even if you don’t enjoy football, a good appetizer recipe is always good to have in your back pocket, no?
I’m kicking things off (pun intended) with a sweet & savory bite that’s sure to score big points (…) with any crowd – Mini Corn Dog Muffins. I am smashing my one corn dog a year rule to smithereens for these babies!!!
These poppable, sweet and crispy cornbread bites with salty, all-beef hot dogs taste exactly like a state fair corn dog in a teeny-tiny package.
Start the Mini Corn Dog Muffins by making the cornbread batter. Whisk together melted butter and sugar, then incorporate a couple eggs.
Next, pour in the secret ingredient that makes this cornbread ultra moist and yummy – buttermilk.
After the wet ingredients are combined, stir together the dry ingredients, including cornmeal, flour (either all-purpose or a gluten-free baking blend,) baking soda and salt. Then, whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in two batches, whisking well between each batch.
Spray a mini muffin tin very well with non-stick spray then spoon 1 Tablespoon batter into each mini cup.
Next, cut up the hot dog centers. I used 100% beef Hebrew National Hot Dogs. You could use turkey dogs, if that’s your preference!
Hebrew National’s are longer, thinner hot dogs, so I cut each one into 6 pieces. You’ll want each piece to be about 1″ long.
Finally, place a hot dog piece into the center of each muffin tin.
These piping hot, sweet and savory mini corn dog muffins are the perfect game-day food!
Mini Corn Dog Muffins
The original Mini Corn Dog Muffins! A fun and unique snack recipe for any special or ordinary occasion!
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup certified gluten-free cornmeal
- 1 cup gluten-free baking blend or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8-10 all-beef hot dogs, cut into 1" bites
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine butter and sugar in a bowl then whisk to combine. Add eggs then whisk to incorporate, and then add buttermilk and whisk to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, combine baking soda, cornmeal, flour, and salt then stir to combine. Whisk into wet ingredients in two batches.
- Spray a mini muffin tin very well with non-stick spray then spoon 1 Tablespoon batter into each mini muffin cup. Place one hot dog bite into the middle of each cup.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown. Cool in mini muffin tin for 5 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator then re-heat for 20-30 seconds before serving.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
A schmear of cold ketchup really sends the corn dog flavor over the top. I can’t get over how insane these are. I literally had to pry Ben’s fingers from the mini muffin tin. Once he popped, he could not stop!
These are amazing served straight out of the oven, but can be made ahead of time, stored in the refrigerator, and microwaved for 30 seconds or so when it’s kickoff time. They taste just as good reheated. Not that I nuked five today and would know or anything.
“I watch the Superbowl for the _____”
d. What’s the Super Bowl?