Gluten-free Creamy Chicken Pasta tastes just like the store-bought Chicken Pasta Sides packet – without the funky ingredients!
Hi everyone, did you have a nice weekend? Ben was out of town so it was just me and the little guy. We met my Mom at the mall for lunch and shopping on Saturday, then I finally got that run in on Sunday – whee!
To be honest, I was this close to bailing. I was so full after recipe testing all afternoon but the Olympics that were on in the background motivated me to get off my butt. I figured if the cross country skiers in Sochi could ski, um, UPHILL for over an hour (seriously who was the deranged soul that first said, “Hey! Let’s see how fast we can ski the wrong way!”) I could make a 35 minute workout happen…so I did! It’s amazing how a 3 mile run can make you feel like such a productive member of society. Can’t wait for more (though it might be a couple of days – I’m so sore already!)
Well, today I’m this excited to share the recipe for Creamy Chicken Pasta with you. It’s a spinoff of my Creamy Garlic Shells, the homemade version of the popular pasta sides packets you’ll find at the grocery store. As much as I used to love me some garlic pasta packets – I absolutely INHALED the creamy chicken ones in college. Like, with a vengeance.
They were cheap, easy, and delicious, but full of some really funky ingredients. Well guess what? My homemade version is just as cheap, easy, and delicious, plus it’s funky ingredient-free!
Pasta and chopped veggies simmer in a luxurious sauce to make a creamy (yet cream-free!) side dish that’s perfect to pair with any weeknight meal. You will LOVE this easy side, plus I bet you already have every single ingredient on hand. Huzzah!
Start by breaking up 8oz gluten-free or regular fettuccine noodles. The pasta in the chicken pasta packets are wide like fettuccine, but short, so I mimicked the shape by snapping handfuls of the noodles in half, then the halves into thirds. If you don’t want to go to the trouble (it seriously took me under a minute though,) I’d at least break them into quarters.
Drop the pasta into a big pot of salted, boiling water then cook until it’s just under al dente, as the pasta will continue to cook a bit in the sauce at the end. Drain then set aside.
Meanwhile, melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat then add 1 chopped small carrot (about 1/3 cup,) 1 chopped rib celery (about 1/3 cup too,) and 1 chopped small shallot. Season with salt and pepper then saute until tender, 5-7 minutes.
Next, sprinkle in 2 Tablespoons gluten-free or all-purpose flour then cook while whisking for 1 minute.
Now slowly stream in 1 cup each milk and chicken broth while whisking to avoid lumps. I’ve made this dish using both skim and 2% milk, so just use whatever you’ve got in the fridge!
Add 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley and more salt and pepper then turn the heat up to medium-high until bubbling.
Turn the heat back down to medium then cook until the sauce is thickened and bubbly, about 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
Finally, add the drained pasta to the sauce then stir to combine and cook for a couple more minutes to let the noodles finish cooking. Note: the sauce will continue to thicken as it cools so make sure you don’t let it get too thick, otherwise it will turn pasty!
Serve the Creamy Chicken Pasta as a side dish with any dinner!
Creamy Chicken Pasta
Gluten-free Creamy Chicken Pasta tastes just like the store-bought Chicken Pasta Sides packet - without the funky ingredients!
- 8oz gluten-free or regular fettuccine
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 small carrot, minced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 rib celery, minced (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 small shallot or 1/2 small onion, minced
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (I've used skim and 2%)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- Break fettuccine into sixths (I broke chunks of noodles in half then each half into thirds.) Cook pasta in a big pot of salted, boiling water until just under al dente - it will continue cooking in the sauce. Drain then set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat then add carrot, celery, and shallot. Season with salt and pepper then saute until tender, 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle in flour then whisk and cook for 1 minute. Slowly pour in chicken broth and milk while whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Turn heat up to medium-high until bubbling then turn heat back down to medium, add parsley and more salt and pepper then cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and bubbly, 5 minutes.
- Add pasta to the sauce then stir to combine and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat. Sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
You will go back for forkful after forkful of this yummy, satisfying side. It’s almost like a quick version of chicken and noodles. Well, I guess that’s exactly what it is! ;) Enjoy, guys!