Say goodbye to bland and boring grilled chicken, with Key West Grilled Chicken Sandwiches!
Grilled chicken breasts marinated in a mixture of honey, lime, soy sauce and garlic are placed on a bun then topped with avocado, red onion, and fresh mango salsa – a flavor explosion all on its own.
Key West Grilled Chicken Sandwich
4 chicken breasts
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1-2 limes)
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 jalapeno, halved & seeded
1 avocado, sliced, optional
Red onion slices, optional
Jalapeno slices, optional
For the Mango Salsa:
2 mangoes, chopped small (here’s how to peel & chop a mango)
1 jalapeno, seeded & minced
2 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
juice of 1 lime
salt & pepper
- Whisk together soy sauce, honey, vegetable oil, lime juice, and garlic in a small bowl. Place chicken in a ziplock bag and pour mixture on top. Add jalapeno, then place in the refrigerate and marinate for 1 to 6 hours. Grill chicken over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes a side, basting with the leftover marinade a few times. Grill buns, if desired.
- For the mango salsa: Combine all salsa ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble: Place lettuce on bottom of bun then top with grilled chicken, sliced avocado, mango salsa, red onion slices, and jalapeno slices.
Not to be overlooked is Grilled Avocados, a unique, warm, and creamy grilled side dish. Fill with leftover mango salsa, then eat with a spoon, or scooped up with tortilla chips.
2 ripe avocados
1 Tablespoon lime juice
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
- Cut avocados in half then remove and discard large seed in the center. Whisk together lime juice and olive oil then brush on cut side of avocados. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Grill avocados cut side down over medium heat for 5 minutes with the grill lid closed, then flip and grill for 5 more minutes on the skin side. Remove then fill centers with mango salsa and eat as is, or spoon over tortilla chips.
*To make this entire menu, you will need: 3-4 limes, 3 avocados, and 2 jalapenos