OMG, dinner tonight was ACE! (I heard an English guy say that Snickers bars “fried up ace” on the Travel Channel’s Deep Fried Paradise show, and I thought it was hysterical.)
Ok, now this dinner…
I’ve told you before that I danced nearly my whole life up until I went to college, and part of that was for my high school’s dance team. We practiced everyday at 6am and on Friday’s, our parents rotated bringing in breakfast for the whole team.
This breakfast typically consisted of the usual suspects – bagels, OJ, an occasional muffin, etc. We were always EXTRA psyched, though, when someone’s parents brought in Egg Casserole!
What’s not to like? It’s hot, it’s cheesy – ITS CASSEROLE.
Well, tonight I took the egg casserole concept and made Un-Egg Casserole for dinner! You see, I had the intention of making a Broccoli Cheese Frittata with Toast for dinner, but at the last minute I thought, what the heck, let’s throw it all in!
2 whole eggs
4 egg whites
dash of water
salt & pepper (to taste)
hot sauce (to taste)
1/5 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1-1/2 cups chopped broccoli
2 handfuls baby spinach
1 chopped green onion
2 pieces toasted bread
2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
1. Pre-heat broiler. Whisk eggs, water, salt, pepper, hot sauce and Parmesan cheese together.
2. Meanwhile, steam broccoli, spinach and green onion for 3 minutes, or until tender. Allow to cool slightly, and add to egg mixture. Combine.
3. Chop toast and cheese into cubes and add to egg mixture. Combine.
4. Heat a large, oven-safe skillet over medium heat and spray generously with non-stick spray. Add the egg mixture to the skillet and let it set for 2-3 minutes, running your spatula around the edges of the pan every so often to make sure nothing is sticking.
5. After the sides and bottom have set, add the other slice of chopped cheese on top and place your skillet under the broiler.
6. Broil until the top is cooked and golden brown, about 6-7 minutes.
7. Allow the un-casserole to cool for several minutes, slice and enjoy!
Who needs a casserole that takes 40 minutes to bake and is loaded with butter and/or cream of who knows what, when you can make this easy, affordable un-egg casserole in 10 minutes?!
The cheese was chewy…
The bread was hearty…
The veggies were tender.
And half of the WHOLE un-casserole clocked in at under 300 calories. Who doesn’t like to say they ate HALF a casserole?? ;) Totally love this dish – I will be repeating! Perhaps in muffin cups…
Dessert tonight shall be this Ben & Jerry’s Peanut Brittle Ice Cream. It lost out last night to the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Bar which, I’m happy to report, was LIFE CHANGING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Peanut butter-caramel swirl, studded with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup CHUNKS. Oh. My. Heavens. BJ’s PB IC has some pretty tasty boots to fill…
I’m looking forward to watching LOST tonight!
I read an interview with Evangeline Lilly recently, who said she missed the early episodes that were merely about trying to “survive” on the island. You know – how the plane crash victims were going to find shelter, water, food, etc., rather than how they were going to escape getting killed by a smoke monster and/or polar bear. (??) Those were my favorite episodes too. Reminded me of Hatchet. I loved that book!!!
Have a good night!
What were your favorite books/book series’ growing up?
I was all OVER Sweet Valley High. I think I read the saga books where they told the story of the twins’ ancestors at least 200 times… Don’t hate.