Leek and Mushroom Chicken Skillet is an elegant, 30 minute dinner recipe that’s perfect for date night or any day of the week. Quick, easy and made in just 1 skillet.
I officially have a favorite dish of 2015! Granted, we’re only 12 days into the new year, but this 30 minute, gluten-free Leek and Mushroom Chicken Skillet is knocking it out of the park. Ben declared it to be the best thing I’ve ever made. Yes, yes, and more YES!
Chicken breasts are dredged in simply seasoned gluten-free or all-purpose flour the seared until golden brown and crisp. Sliced leeks, mushrooms, garlic, and fresh tarragon are sauteed in the same skillet then chicken broth and a touch of fresh lemon juice are added to make a quick pan sauce that’s so succulent you’ll be fighting each other for the last spoonful.
I’m flagging this dish as being perfect for date night (minus the spoon fight.) Super quick, very little cleanup, elegant, mouthwatering, pairs perfectly with a glass of Cab…I’m just saying! I made this for testing purposes last week and Ben and I both couldn’t wait to have it again.
The light flour coating not only gives this chicken a slight yet satisfying crunch but it also helps thicken the pan sauce that’s spiked with the flavors of fresh leeks and tarragon. I didn’t get into cooking with fresh herbs like thyme, tarragon, sage, and rosemary until, oh, maybe 2-3 years ago, but they add so much flavor! Tarragon is light, fresh, and pairs perfectly with the mushrooms and leeks, which you will just LOVE in this dish. I cannot sing it’s praises enough.
How to Make Leek and Mushroom Chicken Skillet:
Start by dredging 2 chicken breasts (about 1lb) that have been pounded thin in a mixture of 1/4 cup gluten-free flour seasoned HEAVILY with salt and pepper. I’m talking like a teaspoon each. Add the chicken to a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 1 Tablespoon butter and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (the butter’s for flavor and the oil is so it doesn’t burn,) then saute until golden brown on both sides, 2-3 minutes a side.
The chicken doesn’t need to be fully cooked at this point, just crisp and golden brown. Remove the chicken to a plate then set aside.
Meanwhile, trim 2 leeks. Leeks might look intimidating but they’re easier to prep than an onion. Just slice the roots and dark green parts off, then thinly slice. That’s it! Leeks have a great, mild onion flavor.
To the same skillet add 1 Tablespoon butter, the leeks, 6oz sliced mushrooms, and 1 small shallot or 1/4 small onion that’s been minced. Season with salt and pepper then saute until the mushrooms are golden brown and tender, 5 minutes. Add 1 clove minced garlic then saute for 1 more minute.
Add 1 cup chicken broth and 1 packed Tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon then nestle the chicken breasts into the sauce and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is slightly reduced, 3-4 minutes.
Finally, squeeze in the juice of 1/2 lemon (start with a little – you can always add more) then stir and add salt and pepper if necessary.
Plate the chicken then pile on the leeks and mushrooms, and drizzle on lots of that savory sauce!
Leek and Mushroom Chicken Skillet
Leek and Mushroom Chicken Skillet is an elegant, 30 minute gluten-free recipe that's perfect for date night, and made in just 1 skillet!
- 1lb chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1/4 cup gluten-free or all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter, divided
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 6oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot or 1/4 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 packed Tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- juice from 1/2 small lemon
- Add 1 Tablespoon butter and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat (oil will keep butter from burning.) Mix flour and lots of salt and pepper in a shallow dish then dredge chicken breasts and add to skillet. Saute until golden brown on both sides, 2-3 minutes a side. Chicken does not have to be completely cooked through. Remove to a plate then set aside.
- Add remaining tablespoon butter to skillet then add mushrooms, leeks, and shallot, season with salt and pepper, then saute until mushrooms are golden brown and tender, 5 minutes. Add garlic then saute for one more minute. Add chicken broth and tarragon then nestle chicken back into skillet and simmer until sauce has thickened and reduced, and chicken is cooked through, 3-4 minutes. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice over the skillet then stir to combine. Add more salt and pepper if necessary then serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
I served my chicken with broiled asparagus. That’s just trimmed asparagus tossed with extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper then broiled for 4-5 minutes. That’s it. Couldn’t be easier – enjoy!