I’m not sure what’s a bigger mouthful – the taste of BBQ Chicken, Apple, Bacon, Cheddar Quesadillas – or the name!
BBQ Chicken, Apple, Bacon, Cheddar Quesadillas were born from the what to make for dinner this week conundrum. It happens every weekend, which is when I typically do my meal planning. The recipe idea vault is exhausted, and my beloved spouse, God love him, only seems to be able to contribute one idea week after week. After week after week. BBQ Chicken Quesadillas ’til the cows come home!
I like BBQ Chicken Quesadillas as much as the next gal, but really, sometimes you need a little variety. That’s where sweet, chopped apple comes in. And salty bacon…and melty cheddar. Lots of melty cheddar! These upgraded quesadillas satisfy Ben’s insatiable hunger for BBQ Chicken Quesadillas, and my need for a little variety. And bacon.
They’re handheld, hot & gooey, and full of smokey, sweet flavors, and crunchy, chewy textures. You’ll love ’em!
Start the BBQ Chicken, Apple, Bacon, Cheddar Quesadillas by cooking then shredding 2 small chicken breasts. I seasoned mine with salt & pepper then sauteed until done, and shredded when cool. An equal amount of leftover or rotisserie chicken would be just fab too! Toss the chicken with 1/3 – 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce to coat, then set aside.
Next get your other toppings ready – mas shredded cheddar cheese (team hand shredded!) 1 chopped apple, and 6 center-cut bacon strips that have been cooked & crumbled.
Prep work’s done – time to get cookin’. First spray a large skillet with non-stick spray, then prop 2 tortillas against one another in the center. Sprinkle 2-1/2 Tablespoons cheese onto the bottoms of each tortilla.
Next add about 1/4 of the BBQ chicken, and 1/4 of the chopped apple. I went SUPER MEGA STUFFED with my quesadillas, but you can stuff to your liking.
Next add 1/4 of the bacon and 2-1/2 Tablespoons cheddar on top.
Fold the quesadillas over then turn the heat to medium and cook until the bottom is golden brown. Flip then cook until the other side is golden brown.
Slide the tortillas out onto a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. This way the cheese has a chance to meld all the toppings together so they won’t all come sliding out.
After the resting period, cut the quesadillas into quarters with a pizza cutter then enjoy!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
BBQ Chicken, Apple, Bacon, Cheddar Quesadillas
BBQ Chicken, Apple, Bacon, Cheddar Quesadillas are full of sweet and savory goodness, and are so easy to make!
- 2 small chicken breasts, cooked & shredded
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 4 tortillas
- 1-1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 apple, chopped
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Mix shredded chicken with BBQ sauce (may not use all sauce.) Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray then add two tortillas, propped against each other in the center so only half of each tortilla is laying on the bottom of the skillet. Sprinkle 2-1/2 Tablespoons cheese on the bottom of each tortilla followed by 1/4 of the chicken, 1/4 of the chopped apple, and 1/4 of the crumbled bacon. Top with 2-1/2 more Tablespoons cheese then fold tortillas over.
- Turn heat to medium then cook until bottom side is golden brown. Flip then cook until second side is golden brown. Remove to a cutting board then let rest for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges with a pizza cutter. Repeat with remaining ingredients then serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
You know what else would be amazing in here instead of apples? Fresh peaches! Can’t wait to give that spin a go this summer!