As I mentioned last week, Ben and I have been looking for ways to healthify our daily lives and one of the easiest ways to do that is to sneak more vegetables into our meals (shocker!) We’re not talking about serving dinner with a sidecar of steamed broccoli or plain mashed potatoes through — BORING!
There are definitely more exciting ways to go about it, like these low carb Beef Taco Bowls which are killing it in the healthy AND delicious department!
Bonus: the recipe goes from fridge to table in the time it takes Lincoln to “water paint” one side of a wooden cutting board, ie about 20 minutes.
Beef Taco Bowls are lean ground beef sauteed with bagged coleslaw mix (hello vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants!) and my easy homemade taco seasoning, plus a splash of stock or water. Pile into bowls then top with a mountain of guacamole, a few tortilla chips for scooping if you’re not watching carbs too closely, plus a spoonful of salsa.
Healthy, easy, fast, flavorful – what more could you ask for?
Ok, ok, maybe you’re wondering what the coleslaw tastes like sauteed with ground beef. Awesome, in fact! Since it’s just lightly sauteed, then coleslaw keeps a nice deep crunch which mimics a taco shell — though you’ll never miss it. The flavor is also very mild so the savory taco seasoning blend is what really shines.
Ready to eat?!
How to Make This Recipe
Start by browning lean ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat with chopped shallot or onion, seasoning lightly with salt and pepper.
Drain the beef if there’s a ton of extra fat (a little left is good) then add bagged coleslaw mix. Again, this is a totally easy and inexpensive way to add LOADS of health benefits to your meal!
Season again with a little salt, which will help the coleslaw soften, then saute until crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes.
Last step is to add homemade taco seasoning plus a splash of chicken stock or water then stir to combine.
Scoop the mixture into bowls, top with your favorites, then dig in. Tweak your traditional taco night and serve these healthy, tasty, low carb bowls instead. And if you’ve got to have a shell or tortilla – no problem! Use the veggie-full mixture as upgraded taco meat instead. However you serve it – I hope you enjoy!
- Mini Taco Meatloaf
- Low Carb Greek Chicken Bowls
- Low Carb Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Large Batch Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Homemade Burrito Bowls
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Beef Taco Bowls
Beef Taco Bowls are a quick and healthy low carb, gluten free dinner recipe. Just 20 minutes from fridge to table!
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1 shallot or 1/2 small onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 12oz coleslaw mix
- 1 recipe homemade taco seasoning (see notes for recipe)
- 1/4 cup chicken/beef broth or water
- Toppings/add-ins: guacamole, salsa, green onions, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream
- Brown ground beef with shallot or onion, and a dash of salt and pepper, in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain extra fat if necessary then return to the skillet. Add coleslaw mix, season lightly with salt and pepper, then saute until cabbage is tender, 3-4 minutes. Add taco seasoning and broth or water then mix to combine. Serve with toppings and add-ins.
- Click here for my homemade taco seasoning recipe >
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.