Picnic season is nearly upon us!
Actually, picnics always seem more glamorous in theory than in practice, right? The wind usually picks up at the most inopportune time sending paper plates and potato chips flying, where the heck do you put your drink, backaches, and for heaven’s sake THE BUGS.
Nah, I’d rather snag a spot at the patio table with a stable surface, heavy plate, and not share my meal with an army of ants. A giant vat of Best-Ever Southwestern Black Bean Dip in front of me while dinner sizzles on the grill!
A plethora of fresh and crunchy vegetables including bell pepper, tomatoes, red onion, and corn form the base of this healthy dip recipe that’s rounded out by the addition of black beans, a weeee bit of fresh jalapeno, cilantro, garlic, cumin, and store-bought Italian dressing. Mark my words, this is one of the best chip dips – EVER. It’s fresh yet zesty, both crunchy and creamy – ugh, it’s just so good! Pair with salty tortilla chips and you’ve got a perfect chip dip for game day, an appetizer before dinner, or yes…even a picnic. ;)
Plus this dip is able to be made up to a day ahead of time so it can be ready to party when you are!
How to Make This Recipe
To a large bowl add 1 chopped green bell pepper, 1 can corn that’s been drained and rinsed (or 1-3/4 cup fresh sweet corn,) 1 can black beans that’s been drained and rinsed, plus 1 minced jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed first. Despite the jalapeno, I definitely would not call this dip spicy. I have seen many a child scarf this dip down with no issues!
Also add 3 vine-ripened tomatoes that have been seeded and chopped, plus 1/2 minced red onion.
Next up is 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (or more or less depending on how much you like cilantro,) 1 minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon cumin, salt, and pepper.
Finally, drizzle on 3/4 cup Homemade Italian Vinaigrette (or Kraft Zesty Italian salad dressing if you don’t need to eat gluten-free,) then stir to combine.
That’s all she wrote! Serve immediately with plenty of tortilla chips, or stash in the fridge overnight if you want to enjoy the next day. Either way, I hope you love this easy, flavor-packed dip recipe – enjoy!
- Pickle Wrap Dip >
- Copycat Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel Dip >
- Secret Ingredient Restaurant- Style Salsa >
- The Best Fruit Dip EVER >
- Caesar Spinach and Artichoke Dip >
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Best-Ever Southwestern Black Bean Dip
Best-Ever Southwestern Black Bean Dip is a party in a bowl! Fresh and crunchy, it will become a staple on game day and at parties.
- 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15oz can corn, drained (or 1-3/4 cup fresh or frozen-then-thawed sweet corn)
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed then minced
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (or more or less)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup homemade Italian Vinaigrette (see notes) OR Zesty Italian salad dressing (not GF)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl then mix to combine and serve with tortilla chips. Can be made a day ahead of time.
- Click here for my Homemade Italian Vinaigrette >
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.