Ben and I spent the weekend in Chicago with friends and in true just getting home from vacation fashion, I was trying to think of something really quick and easy to make for dinner tonight, as I haven’t had time to go to the grocery store yet. Then I remembered a yummy, 30-minute meal I made a few weeks ago that I haven’t shared yet: Broccoli Chicken Mac and Cheese.
Large macaroni noodles, sauteed chicken, and fresh broccoli are tossed in a luscious, light and creamy sauce that does not get any simpler to make, and tastes totally gourmet. Only you and I will know that it’s made with 99% fridge and pantry staples, and takes 30-minutes (or less) to make. Shhh! Tell ’em ya’ slaved!
Start the Broccoli-Chicken Mac & Cheese by dropping 8oz large macaroni noodles (gluten-free if you need it,) into salted, boiling water. I know I say this all the time, but adding 1-2 teaspoons of salt to pasta water when it boils adds sooooo much flavor to the pasta. Try it once and you’ll know exactly what I mean!
When the pasta has about 3 minutes left to cook, drop in 3 cups small broccoli florets, then drain everything and set it aside.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add 2 teaspoons cooking oil. We’re going to stir in some chopped sun-dried tomatoes in a bit so I used the oil from the SDT jar, but you can use whatever you want.
Add 2 chicken breasts that have been chopped into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt & pepper, then saute until they’re cooked through and remove to a plate.
Onto that rich and creamy (gourmet tasting!) sauce. In the same skillet as the chicken, add 6oz Laughing Cow Light Cheese, which is all 6 wedges. Laughing Cow Cheese is a DREAM – so creamy and flavorful, but only 35 calories per wedge. I love it with crackers, and in this mac!
Next add in 3/4 cup milk, and 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
Let the cheese melt and the sauce bubble until everything is thick and melty. YUM!
Finally, add in the cooked chicken, noodles, and broccoli, then toss everything to combine.
Dinner is served!
Broccoli Chicken Mac and Cheese
- 1 large pot
- 1 large skillet
- 8 oz gluten-free or regular macaroni noodles dish will not be GF if using regular macaroni noodles
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 2 large chicken breasts ~1lb, cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons oil I used oil from the sun-dried tomatoes
- 6 oz Laughing Cow Lite Cheese Wedges I like Garlic & Herb flavor
- 3/4 - 1 cup milk any kind
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil chopped
- Cook macaroni noodles in a large pot of salted, boiling water. Add broccoli to the pot 3 minutes before noodles are done cooking, then drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add chicken and cook until no longer pink. Remove to a plate and set aside. In the same skillet, add cheese, milk, sun-dried tomatoes, salt, and pepper, then stir until cheese is melted, and sauce is thick. Add cooked chicken, noodles, and broccoli to the skillet then stir well to combine. Add more milk if sauce isn't creamy enough, then serve.
This is total comfort food, but so stinking easy, and much lighter than traditional macaroni & cheeses.
Laughing Cow has a ton of different flavors to customize this dish to your tastes, too. I used Garlic Herb, but was mighty tempted by the Sun-dried Tomato Basil flavor. Go with your gut though, and enjoy!