Do you ever find it funny thinking about the things you know now, never thinking you’d know anything about them? (Say that 5 times fast.)
I can say with 100% certainty that I would have never thought to swap rice for CAULIFLOWER in this simple fried rice recipe had I not been diagnosed with Celiac Disease last year, but here we are! I’m definitely not complaining though because Cauliflower Fried Rice has me floored.
Grated or “riced” cauliflower is stir fried with frozen mixed vegetables, green onions, garlic, and sesame oil-laced eggs then tossed with gluten-free Tamari (or soy sauce if you’re not gluten-free) and served up hot. Absolutely delicious. A revelation. No restaurant nor rice required!
Eating gluten-free is going well and I truly don’t find it to be a huge challenge at home, but that’s only half the battle. My body is still in healing mode which has made it sensitive to other foods like grains, including rice. This has been tough because after going gluten-free I pretty much started eating ALL THE RICE.
Now though, in order to help my body heal, I’m getting creative and it’s been a good thing! We’re eating a ton of fresh fruits and vegetables, and making healthy swaps like using shredded cauliflower for rice in one of my favorite fake-out take-out dishes, Fried Rice. Gluten free or not, you MUST try this dish.
Tips for Making Cauliflower Fried Rice:
- Fresh or Frozen: I’m showing how to make this recipe with freshly riced cauliflower, but you can make this recipe with frozen, store-bought pre-riced cauliflower. No need to thaw prior to cooking.
- Tools Needed: While a food processor rices cauliflower in seconds, you can also use a simple box grater to make cauliflower rice. Additionally, a large wok works great for this recipe, but a large nonstick skillet does the job too. Be sure to use high heat no matter which pan you use.
- When to season: Don’t season too early! If you add salt too early in the stir frying process the cauliflower will release its moisture causing the dish to steam vs saute.
Like I said, even if you don’t need to eat gluten-free, we could all use a little more plants in our diet, no? This low-carb, 20 minute supper is going to make you all kinds of happy, I just know it!
How to Make This Recipe:
Start by slicing out the core of a small head of cauliflower, then cut the head into a few big hunks.
Next fit a food processor with the grating attachment. If you don’t have a food processor you can use a box grater OR, as I mentioned, you can use store-bought frozen riced cauliflower instead.
Pop the cauliflower hunks into the shoot then let ‘er rip.
Here’s a close up shot of the results. Visually the cauliflower is a cross between rice and hash browns.
Cooking time: Pop a large wok or nonstick skillet over high heat then add 1 Tablespoon sesame oil. Measure out 4 cups grated cauliflower then add it to the hot oil along with 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables and 2 chopped green onions.
Stir fry until the cauliflower is just starting to become tender, 3-4 minutes, then add 3 cloves minced garlic and season with salt and pepper. As I mentioned above, if you season too early in the stir frying process the cauliflower will release moisture which will cause it to steam it vs saute. Stir fry until the garlic is fragrant, another minute or so.
Next, push the cauliflower to the sides of the wok to create a well in the center, then stream in 2 eggs whisked with 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Let sit until set on the bottom then scramble and toss to combine.
Last step is to drizzle in 3 Tablespoons gluten-free Tamari or soy sauce (dish will not be GF if using traditional soy sauce) then toss to combine.
Scoop the Cauliflower Fried Rice into bowls then serve! I hope you love this healthier, gluten free take-out fake out dish – enjoy!
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Cauliflower Fried Rice
Cauliflower Fried Rice will trick your tastebuds in the best way possible. This 20 minute gluten-free, low-carb recipe will be a hit at your house!
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 green onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tablespoons gluten-free Tamari or soy sauce (dish will not be GF if using soy sauce)
- Combine 1 teaspoon sesame oil with eggs in a bowl then whisk to combine and set aside. Chop cauliflower head into big chunks then send through a food processor fitted with the grating attachment. Alternatively you could grate the cauliflower on a box grater. Measure out 4 cups grated cauliflower then save the rest for another use.
- Heat remaining 1 Tablespoon sesame oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add cauliflower, green onions, and frozen mixed vegetables then stir fry until cauliflower is just beginning to turn tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, season with salt and pepper, and then continue to stir fry until garlic is fragrant, 30 seconds or so.
- Push mixture to the sides of the wok to create an opening in the center then add the eggs and scramble. Toss mixture to combine then drizzle in gluten-free Tamari and mix again to combine. Serve hot.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
More Gluten Free Take-Out Fake-Out Recipes: