If you have time to whip up just one more thing this holiday season, make it Chocolate-Peppermint Puppy Chow (for humans).
That’s right, no pups were harmed in the making of this irresistibly-delicious, chocolate-peppermint treat that tastes exactly like Thin Mints – YES! This sweet and crunchy snack is for your mouth only (praise be, because you won’t want to share with a single soul – dog, human, or otherwise!)
What is Puppy Chow?
This is the final recipe in a series of desserts I created using Enjoy Life chocolates this holiday season (be sure to check out my Brown Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies and Soft-Batch Pumpkin Gingersnap Chocolate Chip Cookies!) and I am so so thrilled with how it turned out.
Puppy Chow is a holiday staple in my world and is traditionally made with Rice Chex, peanut butter, butter, and chocolate. As a nod to Enjoy Life’s allergy-friendly chocolates though – which contain no gluten, wheat, dairy, soy, sulfites, fish, peanuts, egg, sesame, and tree nuts, among other allergens – I nixed both the butter and peanut butter to make this more-allergy-friendly version that’s gluten-free, nut free, and vegan too.
Big words aside – you are simply going to LOVE this recipe!
For this chocolate-peppermint version of Puppy Chow I swapped regular Rice Chex for Chocolate Rice Chex, then coated the cereal in a mixture of melted Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mini Chips, coconut oil, peppermint extract, and crushed candy canes, and THEN coated it all in powdered sugar.
If you have to eat gluten free and miss eating Thin Mints – GET READY – because Chocolate-Peppermint Puppy Chow is a dead ringer for the Girl Scout cookie favorite. I’m telling you, the flavor is identical, and it’s even got that irresistible crispy-crunchy thing going on. You better believe I will have this recipe on standby when the girl scouts come a knockin’ next year!
A Holiday Hit for All
I wasn’t sure what my kids were going to think about this recipe – you never know with mint – but both Lincoln and Cam are going crazy for Chocolate-Peppermint Puppy Chow. They even requested it from Ben for breakfast the other day, and he delivered. “It’s cereal!” he shrugged.
How to Make This Recipe
Start by crushing candy canes to get 1/2 cup crushed candy canes. I add the candy to a ziplock bag, place it on a towel, then have at it with a meat mallet.
I like to do this on a kitchen towel in case the bag rips from the candy shards. That way it goes on the towel vs the countertop and is easier to clean up. Set the candy aside.
Next melt Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips with coconut oil in a large bowl in the microwave until smooth, then stir in peppermint extract. I use Watkins brand, which is gluten-free.
Add Chocolate Rice Chex cereal plus the candy canes then gently fold using a large spatula until the cereal is evenly coated in the chocolate mixture.
Split the cereal between 2 gallon-size Ziplock bags containing powdered sugar then seal and gently toss to coat the cereal in the powdered sugar.
Pour the Chocolate-Peppermint Puppy Chow onto parchment or wax paper then let cool for an hour or so before packaging up (or scarfing!!) This snack recipe would be a hit for handmade holiday gifting or as a hostess gift. Spoon into a treat bag or mason jar then tie with a bow. I can’t think of anything better. Enjoy, enjoy!
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Chocolate-Peppermint Puppy Chow
Chocolate-Peppermint Puppy Chow (for humans!) is such a treat. Crunchy, sweet, and pepperminty, this holiday snack will fly out of the bowl.
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 cups Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mini Morsels
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 12.8oz box Chocolate Chex Cereal (8 cups)
- 6 candy canes, crushed (1/2 cup)
- Divide powdered sugar between two gallon-size Ziplock bags then set aside. Tear off two pieces of parchment or wax paper then place slightly overlapping onto the counter.
- Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a large, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds then stir and continue microwaving in 30 second increments, stirring between increments, until chocolate is smooth. Add peppermint extract then stir to combine.
- Add cereal and crushed candy canes then fold gently to coat cereal in chocolate. Divide cereal between Ziplock bags then seal, taking care NOT to squeeze the air out of the bags. Gently toss the cereal around to coat in powdered sugar then pour out onto parchment or wax paper. Let cool until chocolate is set then package in an airtight container.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.