Shhh…imma let you in on a little secret: the only dessert recipe you really need is for Gluten Free Apple Crisp.
I said what I said!
Simple really is best when it comes to dessert, and there is nothing better than warm, cinnamon-spiced apples topped with an equal amount of sweet crisp topping. Easy, crowd pleasing, and made from fridge and pantry staples, Gluten Free Apple Crisp needs to be bumped to the top of your “must make now” list ASAP!
Easy Gluten Free Apple Crisp
My recipe for easy Gluten Free Apple Crisp is, well, simple! Chopped apples are sweetened and spiced with cinnamon and sugar then buried under an oat-based topping and baked until golden brown. By the way, I was recently made aware that some apple crisp recipes don’t call for oats which, honestly, I’m still recovering from. Apple Crisp without oats is like going out to dinner with three small children – a recipe for disaster!
(Ask me how dinner on Wednesday night went.)
Gluten Free Apple Crisp Ingredients
What I love only slightly less than the nostalgic, classic taste of this gluten free apple crisp is the fact that I always have all the ingredients on hand to make it. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Gluten Free Oats. Again, you cannot have gluten free crisp without oats. Apple Crisp without oats is considered an Apple Crumble or Apple Streusel. See below for my recommendation on how to choose oats when you need to eat gluten free.
- Apples. What is Apple Crisp without apples? Simply peel then chop before tossing into this dessert.
- Sugar + Cinnamon. Sugar, spice, and everything nice – that’s what Gluten Free Apple Crisp is made (in part) of!
- Gluten Free Flour. I like both Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1:1 Baking Flour and King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour for this crisp, though you can also use almond flour. It’s a very flexible recipe.
- Butter. Butter gives the crisp it’s gorgeous, golden brown glow and deep, toasty flavor.
Make it Vegan!
You can easily turn this recipe into vegan apple crisp by swapping the regular butter for vegan butter, or even coconut oil. I like Earth Balance Vegan Butter for this recipe.
The Best Apples for Apple Crisp
I’m going to let you in on another secret: you can use whatever apples you have on hand to make gluten free apple crisp. That said, I prefer to bake with Granny Smith apples because they hold their texture through baking, and have a tart flavor which plays well off the sweet crisp. Honeycrisp apples are also great but, again, use whatever you’ve got on hand.
You don’t have to peel the apples before using in this fruit crisp, though I much prefer the texture without peels. Lastly, I prefer to chop the apples for this recipe, though you may slice if you prefer!
How to Make Gluten Free Apple Crisp
Start by peeling then chopping Granny Smith apples then add to a bowl with sugar, gluten free flour, and cinnamon, and then stir to coat.
Pour the apples into a small/medium-sized baking dish that’s been sprayed with nonstick spray then, to the same bowl add brown sugar, gluten free old fashioned oats, butter (or vegan butter), gluten free flour, and a pinch of salt. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to combine the ingredients into a crumbly paste.
Purity Protocol Oats
If you have Celiac Disease or an extreme sensitivity to gluten, it’s important to use Purity Protocol Oats in any oat based dessert or recipe like Gluten Free Apple Crisp. This means the oats have been grown, harvested, transported, and processed with/in dedicated equipment and facilities so there’s no risk for cross contamination with gluten containing grains. Oats are notoriously planted near or rotated in fields with gluten containing grains like barley and wheat so purity protocol oats are important to use. I use GF Harvest oats.
Sprinkle the topping over the apples then bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown (not too dark or it can taste burnt.)
Let the apple crisp cool slightly then scoop into a dish and DEVOUR! I hope you love this classic yet incredibly delicious gluten free apple crisp recipe – enjoy!
More Apple Treats to Love
- Caramel Apple Crisp with Easy Caramel Sauce
- Stovetop Apple Crisp for Two
- Gluten Free Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Dip
- Baked Apple Chips
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Easy Gluten Free Apple Crisp
Gluten Free Apple Crisp is the easiest and best fruit crisp you'll ever make. Perfectly sweet with just the right ratio of crisp to apples!
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored then chopped (~4 cups)
- heaping Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon gluten free flour blend
- heaping 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the Crisp Topping:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup cold butter (or vegan butter), cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees then spray a small/medium-sized baking dish (I used a 6x9") with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Add chopped apples to a large bowl then toss with sugar, flour, and cinnamon, and pour into the prepared baking dish. In the same bowl, add topping ingredients then mix and mash with a pastry cutter or with your fingers until it becomes a crumbly paste. Spread evenly over the apples then bake for 30-35 minutes or until the topping is golden brown (not too dark otherwise it will taste burnt.) Cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.