Happy Monday, everyone – I hope you had a wonderful weekend!
I had a “me day” on Saturday which included getting together with some girlfriends in the morning then spending what felt like 2 hours at Whole Foods. Like I said – a “me day”! Grocery shopping is one of my favorite things to do, and when I get to leave the sweet babe at home and do it leisurely – umm, even better. ;)
We also grazed on Crock Pot Sweet Potato and Quinoa Turkey Chili all weekend long. I made a huge batch of it Thursday evening and it just got better and better each time I reheated a bowl!
Crock Pot Sweet Potato and Quinoa Turkey Chili packs a double protein punch from the addition of both lean ground turkey breast and quinoa. A little sweet from chopped sweet potatoes and a can of baked beans, plus a little heat from classic chili spices makes this dish ultra-tasty, healthy, and filling.
Plus, how you gonna hate on any recipe that calls for topping it with shredded cheese and tortilla chips? I must confess, making chili always gets me a little giddy as it’s basically an excuse to eat nachos. As if I needed an excuse, but you know what I mean!
Start by browning 1lb ground turkey breast with 1 chopped shallot in a large skillet over medium-high heat. I KNOW – I usually hate crock pot recipes that require cooking steps ahead of time, but it’ll only take a few minutes. Promise! Season liberally with salt and pepper then stir in 3 cloves minced garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
Add the cooked turkey to the bottom of a 6 quart crock pot then add 1 large peeled then chopped sweet potato (about 1lb) and a bevy of chili-inspired spices including chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, and red chili pepper flakes.
Next add a 15oz can of baked beans (I like ’em sweet) plus 28oz crushed tomatoes.
Finally add 3 cups chicken broth and 1 cup uncooked, rinsed quinoa. The quinoa will continue to absorb chicken broth as the chili cools, so make sure you have some extra on hand for re-heating.
Mix the ingredients together then pop the lid on top and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours. That’s it!
Ladle the hot and hearty chili into bowls then top with lots of shredded monterey jack cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and fresh avocado.
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Crock Pot Sweet Potato and Quinoa Turkey Chili
Gluten-free Crock Pot Sweet Potato and Quinoa Turkey Chili packs a double protein punch with the addition of both lean ground turkey breast and quinoa.
- 1lb ground turkey
- 1 large shallot or 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth (plus extra for reheating)
- 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 15oz can baked beans (I like sweet baked beans)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1lb,) peeled and chopped small
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- Toppings: shredded Monterey Jack cheese, chopped avocado, tortilla chips, green onions
- Add ground turkey and shallot to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season liberally with salt and pepper then cook until no longer pink, breaking turkey up as it cooks. Add garlic then cook for 30 more seconds then add to a 6 quart crock pot. Add remaining ingredients, except toppings, into crock pot then cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 5-6 hours, or until sweet potatoes are tender. Serve with toppings. May need to add more chicken broth when reheating.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
Warm, and ultra-filling – I hope you’ll love this chunky chili with loads of good-for-you ingredients!