It’s been drizzly and disgusting around here for the past couple of days. Instead of dwelling on the weather though, I’m embracing all things warm and cozy by serving Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons on repeat.
This updated version of classic tomato soup pairs roasted fresh tomatoes and garlic with chicken broth and dried herbs, which is scooped into bowls then topped with these adorable grilled cheese croutons.
Take it from me, it’s impossible to feel gloomy when you’re eating grilled cheese croutons!
While my brothers happily dug into bowls of heated canned/condensed tomato soup as children, I hated it with a fiery passion. This soup though, is thankfully NOT that soup! Roasted Tomato Soup has layers and layers of flavor. I know you’ll love each roasty, toasty spoonful!
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons is a light yet cozy soup recipe with a fun and nostalgic twist. You will lick your bowl clean!
- 3lbs Roma tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more or less)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 slices bread
- softened butter
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a large baking sheet with nonstick spray then line with tomato halves, cut side up. Drizzle tomatoes with extra virgin olive oil then season generously with salt and pepper. Wrap garlic cloves in foil with an extra drizzle of olive oil then place alongside tomatoes. Roast for 1 hour, or until tomatoes are golden brown and very tender. Cool slightly.
- Unwrap garlic cloves then transfer with tomatoes and their juices into a food processor or blender and pulse until tomatoes reach desired consistency (I like mine more smooth than chunky.)
- Pour mixture into a large soup pot then add dried thyme, red pepper flakes, and chicken broth then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Butter one side of each bread slice, then place cheese slices between the unbuttered sides. Cook in a skillet over medium heat until both sides are very crisp and cheese is melted. Remove from heat and let grilled cheese sandwiches rest for 2 minutes. Cut sandwiches into cubes then divide amongst bowls of soup. Serve immediately.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.