You’re either going to love me or hate me for this: Gluten Free Mozzarella Bites that you can make at home with just 10 minutes of active cooking time. Crispy on the outside, ooey-gooey on the inside. Did I mention they’re super easy and practically fool proof? Sorry not sorry my friend, you HAVE to try these!
I never knew how much I liked fried foods until I couldn’t order them at restaurants anymore. Most restaurants fry gluten-containing foods like breaded calamari in the same frier as gluten-free foods like french fries, so they become contaminated once they hit the oil. Bummer!
No problemo though as it’s easy to fry food at home, and you don’t even need a deep fat fryer to do it. All you need is a couple inches of oil heated in a pot to make these hot and crispy, stretchy Mozzarella Bites. Ben and I refused to count the extremely small number that were left after making the last test batch, lest we acknowledge how many molten mozzarella bites we ate between the two of us. Let’s just say, I should have nama-stayed at the yoga studio I took a class at prior to whipping up these bites to burn off a few more calories!
I’m sure you need zero help crafting an excuse to whip up your own mozzarella bites at home, but here are a few of my ideas just in case:
- Game day. Basketball, football, ANY BALLS go well with gluten free mozzarella bites!
- Slumber parties. Be the cool mom who serves fresh mozzarella bites to your kids and their friends!
- Anytime you’re craving cheesy comfort food. My 4 ingredient (plus water and salt) mozzarella bites absolutely slay the store-bought competition. I just tried to count the number of ingredients in a “healthy” frozen mozzarella bite option and went cross eyed before I could finish.
Ready? Ok! Let’s do this!
Start by cutting 6 mozzarella string cheese sticks into 6 equal pieces each. I cut each one in half, then cut each half into thirds. By the way, I have to tell you, Ben worked at Pizza Hut during college (true story) and said stuffed crust pizza is just a regular ball of dough stretched super thin then the outside is rolled around string cheese sticks. I feel cheated somehow…right?
Next, set up your breading station. In one bowl add 1/4 cup gluten-free flour (I used King Arthur Flour GF flour.) In a second bowl whisk together 2 eggs + 2 Tablespoons water. In a third bowl add 2 cups gluten-free breadcrumbs then generously season with salt and stir to combine. I used finely ground Rice Chex, but you could use stale GF bread, store-bought bread crumbs, etc.
Working with 4 bites at a time, roll in the flour then tap any excess off. Drop the bites into the egg mixture then use a fork to coat, and then transfer to the breadcrumb mixture and roll with your fingers to coat. Next, dunk BACK into the egg mixture, and then back into the breadcrumbs before transferring to a plate. This double coating ensures the cheese stays inside the super crispy crust and doesn’t leak out into the hot oil.
Place the entire plate of coated mozzarella bites into the refrigerator to let the cheese chill, and the coating set, 20-30 minutes.
When it’s time to eat add enough high heat cooking oil (I used organic canola) to come 2″ up the side of a heavy bottomed pot or cast iron skillet then turn the heat to just a touch above medium. Heat until the oil reaches 365 degrees then add the bites to the hot oil using a spider, being careful to not overcrowd the pot. Fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds, then scoop the bites onto a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt. That’s it!! I got through all 36 bites this recipe makes in about 10 minutes.
Dare you not to sample the piping hot, ooey, gooey bites on the spot!
Serve immediately with warm marinara sauce then try to stop at just 3. or 10. or 23! I hope you love these easy, cheesy, crispy, yummy Mozzarella bites! Enjoy!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Gluten-Free Mozzarella Bites
Gluten-Free Mozzarella Bites are easy to whip up at home. These crispy, ooey-gooey bites are great for game day, kids' sleepovers, or anytime you're craving a cheesy treat!
- 6 mozzarella string cheese sticks, each cut into 6 bites
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 cups gluten-free bread crumbs
- marinara sauce
- Add flour to one bowl, whisk together eggs and water in another bowl, then add bread crumbs to another bowl. Season bread crumbs with salt then stir to combine.
- Working with 4 bites at a time, roll in the flour, tapping any excess off, then add to the egg mixture and use a fork to coat. Transfer bites to bread crumbs then use your fingers to coat each bite. Add bites back into the egg mixture then use a fork to coat, and then transfer back to the bread crumbs to create a double coating. Place bites onto a large plate then repeat with remaining cheese and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until breading is set.
- Add enough oil to a small, heavy-bottomed pan to come 2” up the sides. Turn the heat to slightly above medium then heat until oil reaches 365 - 370 degrees. Fry bites in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan, until golden brown, 30 seconds or so. Scoop bites onto a paper towel lined plate then sprinkle with salt and serve immediately with warmed marinara sauce.
- Keep bites warm by placing on a cooling rack set atop a baking sheet and placing inside a 275 degree oven.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.