SANTA’S CHAIR HAS ARRIVED AT THE MALL. There are trees up, decorations hanging from the ceiling, and Santa Fast Passes available for purchase online. Yes, you can apparently now reserve a time slot to go sit on Santa’s lap. I mean I get it, because we have a Cameron and waiting patiently is not something that we do at this time, but I can already see my grandchildren looking at me like I have 5 heads when I tell them about lines. LINES, YOU WHIPPER SNAPPERS!
Anyway, while the world is trying its best to gloss over Thanksgiving, and antiquated methods of seeing Santa, I’m here to remind you that this fun and fabulous day is nearly around the corner and I have the most incredible dessert recipe that’s so delicious it blows pumpkin pie out of the water. Gluten Free Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting are sweet and pumpkiny, heavily spiced, super tender, and buried under a cloud of cream cheese frosting. They are incredible!!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie is something I hacked last year for Thanksgiving with Mini Crustless Pumpkin Pies. They’re a fantastic, crustless, gluten free swap for regular pumpkin pie, but if you’re up for going outside the box on the big day, these frosted cupcakes are where it’s at. Plus, nobody would know they’re gluten free unless you told them. (In fact, don’t then see what everyone says…or doesn’t.) ;)
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting would be great to make for Friendsgiving where everything’s a bit more casual, an office Thanksgiving party because you don’t have to worry about cutting slices of pie, or just something fun and festive to make with your kids to celebrate the season. Whatever the reason, just promise me you’ll find one to make these cupcakes!
How to Make Gluten Free Pumpkin Cupcakes
Start by mixing 2 eggs, 1 cup pumpkin puree, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large bowl if using a handheld mixer, until smooth and creamy. Next, whisk together 1 cup gluten free “recipe ready” or 1:1 baking flour blend (I use Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 GF flour in the blue bag,) 1 heaping teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and1/4 teaspoon salt then add to the wet ingredients and mix again until smooth.
By the way, I was out of pumpkin pie spice the day I photographed these cupcakes (could have SWORN I still had some in the cupboard!) so I made my own using this recipe. It was phenomenal!
Let the batter sit for 5 minutes which will give the gluten free flour a chance to soften while it absorbs the liquid in the recipe then scoop 1/4 cup batter into each cup of a 12 cup, paper-lined muffin tin. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
Let the cupcakes cool completely then whip up the cream cheese frosting to slather on top. To the bowl of your electric mixer, or another large bowl if using a handheld mixer, add 6oz softened cream cheese (regular or 1/3 less fat,) 1/4 cup softened butter, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Mix until smooth and creamy then scrape down the sides of the bowl and gradually add 4 cups powdered sugar while mixing until the frosting is thick and creamy.
You can of course use a knife or spatula to frost the cupcakes, or you can get a more polished look by using a piping bag or Ziplock bag to swirl the frosting on top. Stuff the bag into a pint glass, fill with frosting then, if you’re using a Ziplock bag, snip the corner off and frost away.
Voila! I dusted the tops with extra pumpkin pie spice which not only looks really pretty, but the scent hits your nose when you’re going in for a bite and is so lovely. :) I hope you love, love, love these DELICIOUS gluten free Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting. They really are such a special treat! Enjoy!
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Gluten Free Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Gluten Free Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting are tender and flavored with warming pumpkin pie spice. The perfect fall treat!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup gluten free “recipe ready” or 1:1 baking flour blend
- 1 heaping teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 6oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a medium-sized bowl then whisk to combine and set aside.
- Add eggs, sugar, oil, pumpkin puree, and vanilla to the bowl of an electric mixer or a large bowl if using a handheld mixer. Mix until smooth and creamy then scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add dry ingredients in one batch then mix until smooth. Let batter sit for 5 minutes while lining a 12 cup cupcake tin with liners.
- Scoop 1/4 cup batter into each lined cup (I use an ice cream scoop) then bake for 17-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool in tin for 10 minutes then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting: Add cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice to the bowl of an electric mixer or a large bowl if using a handheld mixer. Mix until smooth and creamy then scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add powdered sugar gradually while mixing until thick and creamy. Once cupcakes have cooled completely, frost then dust with additional pumpkin pie spice if desired.
Adapted from Paula Deen
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.