My Mom got hit with the flu a couple weeks ago and the second I hung up the phone with her sounding weak as a kitten I sprang into action making a huge pot of Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup from memory, which I delivered less than an hour later to her doorstep. Actually, I can’t say it’s my recipe. It’s actually hers…or rather, her Mom’s aka my Grandma!
That’s right, this Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is so good that the recipe has been handed down through three generations. It’s the most simple homemade chicken noodle soup you could ever imagine, ready in 30 minutes, made with fridge and pantry staples ,and soothes the achy/sick/sad soul. Super easy to make gluten-free, too!
I first shared my Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup recipe way back in 2009, just a few months into my IGE journey, but with soup and sick season upon us I thought this would be the perfect time to re-feature it!
Back then I shared that we ate this soup every time we visited my Grandparent’s house in Ohio. No herbs, no fuss – just everyday ingredients coming together to create one of the best bowls of soup on the planet.
Like a little black dress, everyone needs a go-to, committed to memory, Chicken Noodle Soup recipe to pull out at a moment’s notice, and I hope this will become yours. It’s probably my all-time favorite soup recipe here on IGE. Ready to enjoy in no time!
How to Make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup:
Start by sauteing 1 large sliced carrot, 1 rib sliced celery, and 1 chopped shallot or 1/2 small onion in 1 Tablespoon each butter and olive oil, seasoning with salt and pepper, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add 2 cloves minced garlic then saute for 1 more minute. If I’m making this soup for someone who’s under the weather I’ll usually double up on the fat to make it extra decadent and comforting. It’s the right thing to do.
Next add 64oz chicken broth (8 cups,) then turn the heat up and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, chop 1 large chicken breast into bite-sized pieces, season with salt and pepper, then add to the boiling chicken broth along with 8oz gluten-free or regular pasta. I’ve used pretty much every pasta under the sun in this soup over the years, but for this batch I broke gluten-free spaghetti into small pieces.
Turn the heat down to medium then simmer until the pasta is cooked through. The chicken should be perfectly cooked by that point too. Ladle the steamy soup into bowls then devour. Like I said, simple and soul-satisfying!
5 Secrets to the Coziest Christmas Ever
have your best christmas ever...at home!
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Gluten-free Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is ready in under 30 minutes and made with fridge and pantry staples.
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 large or 2 medium carrots, peeled then sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 shallot or 1/2 small onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 64oz chicken broth, plus more for reheating
- 1 chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 8oz gluten-free spaghetti, broken into pieces (or any short-cut pasta)
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and shallot, season with salt and pepper, and then saute until tender, 10 minutes. Add garlic then saute for 1 more minute. Add chicken broth then bring to a boil. Season chicken with salt and pepper then add to boiling chicken broth along with pasta. Turn heat down to medium then simmer, stirring occasionally until pasta is cooked through. Taste then adjust salt and pepper if necessary and then serve.
Add more chicken broth when reheating as noodles will continue to soak up broth.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love!