Ben and I had a busy weekend including creating our baby registry (!!), a trip to the gym, store, and laundry (no tanning #namethatshow) and by the time Sunday dinner rolled around I had no energy to cook, but didn’t feel like getting take-out out either. Luckily I had gotten all the ingredients to make Lazy Girl’s Chicken Enchilada Casserole at the store and was able to throw it together in a jif.
Toss fridge and pantry staples including enchilada sauce, salsa, chicken, green chilies, and torn corn tortillas in a bowl then spoon into a casserole dish, top with cheese and bake. Perfect for those days when you don’t have the time nor energy to cook anything elaborate for dinner, but still want a home-cooked meal. It’s not the prettiest thing in the world, but the taste more than makes up for it!
This is the “classic” version of the Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole I made last year, and similarly it was a hit not just because of how easy the dish is to throw together, but also because it’s satisfying, and really, REALLY good. Thick, creamy, and totally hits the spot. Plus you get all the flavor of enchiladas but there’s no tedious rolling required!
Start by sauteing 1lb chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces and seasoned with salt and pepper in nonstick spray until cooked through, then remove to a a plate to cool slightly.
Next, to the LARGEST BOWL YOU OWN (trust me!) add 1 cup red enchilada sauce. Use your favorite – here’s my totally delicious and easy homemade enchilada sauce!
Next add 1 cup sour cream plus 3/4 cup jarred salsa.
Whisk the ingredients together then stir in the cooked chicken plus 4oz diced green chilies and 1 cup frozen –> thawed corn.
Now turn your attention to the corn tortillas. My favorite part of an enchilada.
Count out 12 gluten-free corn tortillas then chop or tear them into bite-sized pieces.
Scoop the mixture into a nonstick sprayed 9×13 pan, or divide it into 2 little pans if ya’ like, then sprinkle the tops with 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (total) and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Scoop then serve with your choice of toppings – I like extra salsa and chopped green onions for a fresh and zesty bite. YUM!! I hope you love this simple, totally satisfying casserole recipe – enjoy!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Lazy Girl’s Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Lazy Girl's Chicken Enchilada Casserole is perfect for nights you don't feel like cooking, but want a home-cooked meal. Throw all the ingredients into a casserole dish then bake. Easy!
- 1lb chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup gluten-free enchilada sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup jarred salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 4oz diced green chilies
- 12 gluten-free white corn tortillas, torn or chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season chicken with salt and pepper then saute in a large, nonstick-sprayed skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through. Remove to a plate to cool slightly.
- In a very large bowl add enchilada sauce, sour cream and salsa then whisk to combine. Add cooked chicken, corn, and green chilies then stir to combine. Add corn tortillas then stir to combine.
- Spray a 9x13" casserole dish (or 2 smaller baking dishes) with nonstick spray then scoop mixture inside. Top with cheese then bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Top with green onions and salsa, if desired.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.