Despite the unseasonably warm weather and cheery sunshine, I went ahead and whipped up a classic, creamy, comfort-food casserole for dinner: Lighter Scalloped Potatoes with Ham!
This diet busting dish is normally packed with butter and cream. Well I lightened it up, but kept ALL the cozy flavor by cutting the butter and using 2% milk instead of heavy cream. IT WAS SO GOOD!!!!
Start by melting some butter in a large skillet. Butter? I thought this was thing was light?! No, I know, but this is actually a small amount compared to the overall size of the dish – and is half of what the original recipe calls for. Add in fragrant seasonings like thyme and parsley, and gluten-free or all-purpose flour then whisk the mixture together.
Cook the butter and flour for 2 minutes (mmmm, smells like stuffing!) then slowly whisk in 2% milk. I resisted the urge to swap in skim milk for the 2%, as I knew the sauce would be grainy if I did.
Bring the milk to a boil, whisking constantly, then lower the heat and cook for 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine 6 cups sliced potatoes – that’s about 3 large potatoes – with 1/2 a grated onion and 1/3lb cubed ham steak. I just went to the deli counter at the grocery store, picked out a good quality low-sodium ham and asked the woman working to slice it thick for me.
Layer half the potato/ham mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 dish, then spoon over half the sauce.
Cover with foil and bake for an hour or so, then remove the foil to let the top get golden brown and give the ham a chance to really sizzle.
Ooooo baby! This dish is right up there with my Mom’s Classic Mac & Cheese in terms of ultimate comfort food. I could not believe how delicious it was, even though it was made without a lot of fat. The ham was just indulgently salty enough, the potatoes were blissfully soft, and that sauce. Luxurious. Silky. Amazing. I want to slather it all over everything!
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
Lighter Scalloped Potatoes with Ham
Lighter Scalloped Potatoes with Ham is just as decadent as the original butter and cream-laden recipe, but on the lighter side!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup gluten-free or all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 6 cups russet potatoes (about 3 large potatoes), sliced thin
- 1/3lb low-sodium ham steak, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and flour, and whisk together. Cook for 2 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until smooth. Turn heat up to high and bring mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Turn heat back down to medium and continue whisking for 2 minutes.
- Combine potatoes, ham and onion in a large bowl. Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray and add in half the potato mixture. Top with half the sauce, then repeat the layers. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 65 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 15-20 more minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
Slightly adapted from Taste of Home
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.