I finally got my office unpacked! I don’t know about you but anytime I come home from a trip my suitcase is either immediately unpacked, or it sits untouched next to my bed for the next three weeks. There is no in between.
Unfortunately my office suffered a similar fate, sitting ignored and stuffed with boxes as I unpacked and organized the rest of the house over the past couple of months.
All that to say, IGE finally has an HQ again! The boxes are unpacked, my books are on a shelf, and I got myself a nice new desk (plus a pouf!) from which to bring you this lusciousness – Loaded Italian Sausages, aka seared Italian sausages positively dripping with peppers, onions, mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese. File this easy, mouthwatering meal under swoon worthy!
I can’t take 99% of the credit for this insane dish as it actually came from a gal on Tik Tok. Never thought I’d say those words, but in a world where social media is just freaking TAXING, Tik Tok is a breath of fresh air. I mean, my current favorite account is a girl who uses tiny doll hands instead of her own. It’s hysterical! Anyway, people also cook on Tik Tok (Gen Z stop laughing at me) and I found this gorgeous, drool-worthy recipe from Jackie @ Low Carb Sate of Mind while scrolling the other day.
Loaded Italian Sausages
Italian sausage links are butterflied then seared in a skillet until golden brown, and then transferred to a baking sheet. Chopped peppers, onions, and mushrooms are sauteed in the same skillet then hit with fresh garlic and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar before being scooped on top of the sausages. Everything’s blanketed in shredded mozzarella then baked until melted and bubbly. So, so dreamy.
- Feel free to use Italian turkey sausage if you want a slightly lighter take on this dish.
- There is no need to remove the casings from the Italian sausages before cooking. You certainly can if you like, though!
- This is a GREAT dish to meal prep. Chop all the vegetables and butterfly the sausages ahead of time so that you can start immediately cooking when you’re ready to eat.
- This dish pairs well with a side salad or roasted vegetable, though would also be delicious served with pasta or steamed spaghetti squash and marinara sauce.
Alright, who’s hungry?!
Step 1: Butterfly then Sear the Sausages
Start by heating a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with nonstick spray then place butterflied sweet or hot Italian sausages into the bottom, cut side down. To butterfly a sausage, slice into them lengthwise with a knife without cutting all the way through, then pull the sausages apart slightly and press to flatten.
Sear until the bottom side is golden brown and sizzling then flip and sear for 1 more minute.
Transfer the sausages to a foil lined, non stick sprayed baking sheet then set aside.
Step 2: Saute the Vegetables
Turn the heat down to a touch above medium then add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Once hot, add chopped red and green peppers, plus a chopped yellow onion. Season with homemade seasoned salt plus pepper then saute until the peppers begin to soften and caramelize, about 5 minutes.
Next add sliced mushrooms then, when they release their liquid, season with more seasoned salt and pepper. Once the vegetables are nearly tender add minced garlic then saute until very fragrant. Lastly, add a few splashes of balsamic vinegar then stir to combine. The vinegar gives the vegetables a burst of bright flavor, but won’t make them taste sour.
Step 3: Cover with Cheese and Bake
Scoop the vegetables on top of the seared sausages then blanket with shredded mozzarella cheese on top – YUM!!
Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, at 350 degrees. That’s all she wrote!
Scoop onto plates then pair with a fresh salad or roasted vegetable to round out the meal. I hope you love these luscious, loaded sausages – enjoy!
- Crock Pot Sausage and Peppers >
- Sausage and Pepper Ring Mini Meatballs >
- Italian Sausage and Peppers Cheeseburgers >
- Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers >
- One Pan Sausage and Peppers Pasta >
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Loaded Italian Sausages
Loaded Italian Sausages are topped with seared peppers and onions then smothered with mozzarella cheese. This low-carb dinner recipe is mouthwatering!
- 4 sweet or hot Italian sausage links (uncooked), butterflied
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- homemade seasoned salt and pepper
- 8oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then line a baking sheet with foil, spray with nonstick spray, and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with nonstick spray then add sausages cut side down and sear until golden brown, 5 minutes. Flip then sear for 1 more minute. Transfer sausages to prepared baking sheet then set aside.
- Turn heat down to a touch above medium then add oil. Once hot, add bell peppers and onion, season with seasoned salt and pepper, then saute until vegetables begin to soften and get a little bit of color, 5 minutes. Add mushrooms then saute until all the vegetables are tender, adding more seasoned salt and pepper after the mushrooms release their liquid. When the vegetables have a few minutes left, add garlic then saute until very fragrant. Add balsamic vinegar then stir to combine.
- Scoop vegetables on top of seared sausages then sprinkle cheese on top. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is fully melted then serve.
Slightly adapted from LowCarbStateofMind.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.