If you’re anything like me, lunch is one of the hardest meals to plan for during the week. I don’t know – it just seems like an afterthought to breakfast and dinner, right? That said, while it’s easier to grab something at the local deli or diner, if you put in a little bit of elbow grease on Sunday, you can reap the rewards all week long. My Greek Chickpea Salad is a shining example. Chop up fresh vegetables, olives, herbs, and feta cheese then toss with a can of chickpeas and drizzle with an easy, spoon-drink-worthy homemade dressing, and this salad is ready for YOU when you need it during a hectic work week. It keeps super well for days and days!
Watch How to Make It!
Now, this recipe is KILLLLLLLLLING it in the delicious department. Oh my word, it is so fresh and delicious. It has all the classic flavors of a Greek Salad, plus chickpeas and fresh dill. OBNOXIOUS AMOUNTS OF FRESH DILL because I am obsessed with it at the moment. It makes me think of pickles which in turn makes me think: gimme.
The rest of the Greek salad cast is all there: fresh tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta cheese, and olives, tossed in a puckery Lemon-Oregano Dressing. I’m ALL about bright and sunny citrus at the moment. I couldn’t stop adding fresh lemon juice to the dressing. If you think it’s a little too tart in the jar, drizzle it in anyway because the flavors compliment the rest of the ingredients perfectly. Like I said, I’m definitely classifying this dressing as spoon-drink-worthy!
Serve as a Side Dish or Mason Jar Salad
Greek Chickpea Salad is a great side dish to serve with any dinner – especially grilled chicken, YUM – but since it keeps really well it also makes excellent mason jar salads. Scoop the salad into the bottom of mason jars with extra dressing then layer in the protein of your choice (chicken, steak, shrimp, etc.) and top with lettuce. Boom – instant lunches all week long!
Not only is this recipe healthy and filling, but I love how all the ingredients are chopped the same size so each bite is perfectly balanced. Tart and tangy, fresh and crunchy – I can’t wait for you to try it!
How to Make This Recipe
Greek Chickpea Salad couldn’t be easier – in a large bowl combine a 15oz can chickpeas that’s been drained and rinsed, 1/2 chopped English cucumber, 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes that have been halved or quartered, 1/4 minced red onion, 1/2 cup olives that have been sliced (I used a combo of kalamata and green olives,) 1-1/2 Tablespoons chopped dill, plus 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (un-pictured.)
Next, in a mason jar or bowl, combine the ingredients for the Lemon-Oregano Dressing: 1/2 cup each extra virgin olive oil and fresh lemon juice (about 2-3 lemons), 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and honey, 1 large garlic clove that’s been pressed or minced, plus salt and pepper. Shake or whisk to combine.
Pour HALF the dressing onto the salad then toss to combine.
As I said, you can go the dinner route with this salad – it’d pair particularly well with chicken or roast shrimp…
Or spoon a couple Tablespoons of the extra dressing into mason jars, followed by a few scoops of salad, chopped protein, and as much lettuce as you can stuff into the jar. Screw on a lid and you’re set! I hope you love this colorful, fresh and healthy meal prep lunch idea! Enjoy!
More Healthy Lunch Recipes
- Jennifer Aniston Salad
- Chickpea Chicken Salad
- Italian Chickpea Salad
- Mediterranean Chicken and Chickpea Bowls with Yellow Rice
- Make-Ahead BLT Egg Salad Jars
- Greek Cucumber and Arugula Salad
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Greek Chickpea Salad
Meal Prep Greek Chickpea Salad is a fresh and filling lunch idea! Make a big batch then divy into mason jars with lettuce for easy, on-the-go gluten-free lunches all week.
- 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/2 cup kalamata/green olives, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill (or more or less)
- For the Lemon-Oregano Dressing:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed or minced
- salt and pepper
- For the Lemon-Oregano Dressing: Add all dressing ingredients into a jar with a tight fitting lid or bowl then shake or whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add remaining ingredients to a large bowl. Add HALF the dressing then stir gently to combine.
- If making mason jar salads: add a couple Tablespoons of the remaining dressing into mason jars then add a few scoops of salad followed by as much lettuce as you can pack into the jar. Optional: add chopped chicken, steak, or shrimp on top of the chickpea salad before the lettuce. Screw lids on tightly then store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Salad on its own will last for 5 days.
- The Lemon-Oregano Dressing might taste too tart by itself but has great flavor once mixed in with the salad!
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.