I feel like a broken record saying this, but there are so many things I didn’t, and couldn’t, know about having a baby until I actually experienced them myself! For example, having never given birth before, I had no idea what all I’d need for the hospital stay after my baby was born. Sure, shampoo, conditioner, and several changes of clothes were a given, but what were the little things I was missing?
A few weeks before Lincoln was due I asked my Facebook friends what their must-have items were and their responses helped me put together the ultimate hospital packing list for childbirth. Whether you’re a new mom like me needing help for the first time, or have another little one on the way and need a refresher, here are all the items I packed for our three day stay, and some items I wish I would have included!
Hospital Packing List for Childbirth
* Items I packed but didn’t use
** Items I wish I would have had packed
I wouldn’t worry about drying/curling/straightening your hair (I think I let my hair air dry every day) unless you’re in need of a pick me up.
- Shampoo/conditioner/body wash
- Body lotion
- Face lotion
- Face wash
- Face wipes (in case you’re too tired to wash your face)
- Straightener and/or curling iron*
- Nursing pads*
- Nipple cream
- Ponytail holder
I stayed in my nightgown and robe the majority of the time.
- 2 pairs comfy pants with loose waistline
- Nursing tanks**
- Nursing bras
- 2 button down nightgowns (or deep V-neck)
- 2 robes (you’ll sweat your way out of and/or baby will barf on at least one!)
- Throw-away underwear 2 sizes up
- Cardigan/fleece/light sweater
- Loose pants/leggings/shorts to wear home
- Loose shirt to wear home
- Flip flops
- Pillows for both you and spouse/partner
- Baby book (they’ll put baby’s foot prints in it for you)
- Camera + charger
- Phone + charger
- Laptop + charger
- Energy bars/snacks
- Extension cord*
- Notepad/pen (you will be taking lots of notes!)
- Boppy* (I used pillows)
- Money/change for vending machine/cafeteria
- Water bottle (the biggest one you can find)**
- Canvas bags to take home gifts/hospital goodies
Lincoln stayed in his diaper, wrapped in a hospital blanket for the majority of the time. If your baby is born in the winter, I’d take warm clothes/PJs, but Lincoln didn’t need them.
- 2 going home outfits (one newborn, one 0-3 months)
- 2 onesies*
- Baby nail file*
- Car seat carrier with infant insert (don’t forget to install the base in the car!)
- Receiving blanket
I will say that Ben thought I was crazy for taking in a wheeled suitcase and extra tote with all of this stuff, but I ended up using 90% of it. My motto has always been, better to be safe than sorry!
What essential items would you add to the list?