A treasured team member, Meagan, was in town from Florida last week and as a life long southerner she had a very specific goal for the trip: to see falling snow for the first time EVER! And Iowa delivered. It’s funny, she arrived on a record-breaking day for warmth, then the next day we had a snow storm.
Stay weird, Iowa.
Anyway, she and I were working downtown when the snow started so we went outside and let the big, fat flakes fall on us for awhile. It was snow globe type snow – very picturesque – and she just couldn’t have been happier. It was so sweet! Several people stopped to ask what was going on and we all agreed that Meagan’s reaction was what our curmudgeon selves needed to not be so annoyed about the snow. It’s all about perspective.
While my heart eyes weren’t bursting as hard as Meagan’s were for the snow last week, they are exploding for this easy, one pan dish that takes just 15 minutes (if that) to make: Pizza Chicken!
This is the latest dish in my series of easy, one pan, smothered chicken breast recipes (recipes below!) and I’m in love. In love with how fast this recipe comes together, in love with the fact that its customizable and low carb, and in love with how you can make chicken taste like pizza for Heaven’s sake. Amen!
Tips for Making Pizza Chicken:
- Have fun! Honestly this dish is more of a concept vs a must-follow recipe – you don’t really need to measure anything. Like a lot of sauce? Slap some more of it on there. Got a cheese lover in the house? Pile on the shredded mozzarella. Of course, use whatever pizza toppings you like.
- Quick Cooking Chicken. I like using chicken cutlets for this dish, which are large chicken breasts that have been sliced in half widthwise, because it’s a great way to stretch chicken, plus they cook super fast. If you’re using chicken breasts instead, be sure to pound them out to an even thickness before cooking to ensure they cook quickly and evenly.
- Any sauce will do. The main difference between pizza sauce and marinara sauce is the oregano-forward flavor most pizza sauces have. That said, if you’ve only got marinara sauce in the house, that’s totally fine to use too.
Ummm, who’s craving pizza now?!
How To Make This Recipe:
Start by seasoning 4 chicken cutlets (again, cutlets are chicken breasts that have been sliced in half widthwise,) or 4 chicken breasts that have been pounded to an even thickness with homemade seasoned salt, pepper, and a pinch of dried oregano on each side. Spray a large skillet over medium-high heat with nonstick spray then add the chicken. Saute until golden brown on the bottom – 1-2 minutes for cutlets, 3-4 minutes for chicken breasts – then flip and turn the heat down to medium.
Toppings time! To the top of each piece of chicken spoon on a couple Tablespoons pizza sauce, followed by a generous dusting of freshly grated parmesan cheese. I think the parmesan cheese really takes this dish up a notch – it smells SO fantastic!!
Next layer on roughly 1oz shredded mozzarella cheese or a pizza cheese blend followed by your favorite pizza toppings. I like pepperoni and black olives myself, though you can of course use whatever you like.
Place a lid on top to melt the cheese and let the chicken finish cooking through. That’s all she wrote! Scoop the Pizza Chicken onto plates then serve with a salad or swirl of pasta with extra warmed pizza sauce. YUM. However you serve it, and whatever you top it with, I hope you love this easy, tasty dish! Enjoy!
Recipes Similar to Pizza Chicken:
- Reuben Chicken >
- Mozzarella Brushetta Chicken >
- BBQ, Avocado, Bacon and Cheddar Chicken >
- Tortilla Crusted Taco Chicken >
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Pizza Chicken will be on your table in less than 15 minutes! This easy, quick-cooking chicken recipe is gluten free, low carb, and full of craveable flavor.
- 4 chicken cutlets or chicken breasts (see notes)
- homemade seasoned salt and pepper
- dried oregano
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4oz shredded mozzarella cheese or shredded pizza blend cheese
- Pizza toppings: pepperoni, sliced black olives, mushrooms, peppers, etc.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken on both sides with homemade seasoned salt, pepper, and a pinch of dried oregano. Spray skillet with nonstick spray then place the chicken pieces inside and saute until golden brown on the bottom side (1-2 minutes for chicken cutlets, 3-4 minutes for chicken breasts). Flip then turn heat down to medium.
- On top of each piece of chicken layer ~2 Tablespoons pizza sauce, ~1 Tablespoon parmesan cheese, ~1 oz shredded mozzarella cheese, and the pizza toppings of your choice. Place a lid on top to let the cheese melt then serve.
- Click here for my Homemade Seasoned Salt >
- To make chicken cutlets: Use a sharp knife to slice large chicken breasts in half widthwise.
- If using chicken breasts: Place chicken breasts on a cutting board then cover with saran wrap and pound to an even thickness using a meat mallet before cooking. The thinner you pound them the faster they will cook.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.