Skinny Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli-Rice Casserole is soul-satisfying comfort food that's a little easier on your waistline!
Today I’m sharing a fabulous spin on a classic – Skinny Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli-Rice Casserole!
Sauteed chicken, steamed broccoli, and fluffy brown rice are mixed with a homemade cheese sauce then quickly broiled for a fabulous, comforting meal. It’s kind of an “un-casserole” as you don’t have to let the dish bake in the oven, rather, everything is made right on the stove top then tossed together in a casserole dish and quickly broiled.
I also tweaked a few of the ingredients from the standard Chicken and Broccoli Rice Casserole to make it a bit healthier. More broccoli, and the luscious homemade cheese sauce that brings all the ingredients together has less cheese, light sour cream, and skim milk. This casserole ROCKS. A total crowd-pleaser and fall must-have, for sure!
How to Make this Recipe:
Start by cooking 2 cups long grain brown rice in 4 cups chicken broth. Cooking rice in chicken broth gives it tons of flavor with minimal added calories. You could use white rice in here, but I love the hearty chew brown rice has. Plus when you smother it in cheese sauce, I don’t think anybody’s going to notice!
When the rice has 5 minutes left to cook, add 4 cups broccoli florets and 2 chopped green onions to the pot, place the lid back on top, and let them steam until tender.
Meanwhile, cook 1lb chopped chicken breasts seasoned with garlic powder, salt, and pepper in 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Remove to a plate then very carefully wipe out the skillet with a dry paper towel and turn the heat down to medium.
To the wiped out skillet add 5 teaspoons gluten-free or all-purpose flour whisked into 1/2 cup milk (I used skim,) then pour in 1-1/2 cups more milk.
Stir the milk and flour mixture continuously until thickened and bubbly, about 7-10 minutes, then take the skillet off the heat and add 6oz shredded cheddar cheese (freshly shredded, if possible!) 1/3 cup light sour cream, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Stir the rice and broccoli mixture together with the cooked chicken and cheese sauce then scoop into a 9×13 baking dish, top with another 2oz shredded cheese and broil until melted and bubbly. Let the casserole rest for 5 minutes, then scoop, plate, and devour!
- Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice Casserole >
- Cheesy Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice >
- Cheesy Vegetable, Turkey Sausage and Rice Casserole >
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Spaghetti Squash Casserole >
- Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Rice Skillet >
Skinny Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli-Rice Casserole
Skinny Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli-Rice Casserole is gluten-free, and skinny, soul-satisfying comfort food.
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1lb chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 5 teaspoons gluten-free or all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, divided (I used skim)
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 8oz shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large pot then add rice. Cover then turn heat down to medium-low. When rice has 5 minutes left to cook add broccoli and green onions on top to steam.
- Meanwhile, heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and then saute until no longer pink. Remove to a plate and set aside then very carefully wipe out skillet with a dry paper towel.
- Turn heat down to medium then whisk together flour and 1/2 cup milk in a small bowl. Pour mixture into skillet then add remaining 1-1/2 cups milk. Cook mixture, stirring constantly, until thickened, 7-10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat then add 3/4 of the shredded cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and stir until smooth.
- Preheat broiler. Combine cooked rice and broccoli mixture with cheese sauce then scoop mixture into a nonstick sprayed 9x13 baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Broil until cheese is melted then let casserole rest for 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.