Raise your hand if you don’t feel like making dinner tonight!
Oh, ok. Wow. That was more of you than I thought…
Well, no worries, because I found a seriously yummy recipe that can be made mixed, baked, and on the table in 30 minutes, saving us all from falling back on take out, or worse, eating ice cream sandwiches and green olives for dinner (you’ve been there…) Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Quick Pico de Gallo to the rescue!
This dish from Picky Palate combines the tangy flavors of salsa verde and green chili enchilada sauce, with sour cream, corn tortillas, black beans, and chicken breasts one seriously simple, toss together casserole. It couldn’t be easier.
Start by combining 1 cup each green chili enchilada sauce and sour cream, with 3/4 cup salsa verde in a large bowl. BTW, I loved this Herdez Salsa Verde. It was perfectly tangy and crisp.
Whisk the ingredients together until smooth.
Next, count out 12 corn tortillas, then rip them into bite-sized pieces.
I just kept folding the tortillas in half until I had small triangles.
To the sauce and corn tortillas, add 2 cooked and chopped chicken breasts, and 1 can drained and rinsed black beans.
Right. Make sure you use a really large bowl!
Fold the ingredients together, then pour into a non-stick sprayed 9×13 dish. Ben’s going to be home late, so I separated ours out into an individual sized baking dish for me to eat for dinner, and a medium-sized dish to bake when he gets home.
Sprinkle shredded cheese on top, then bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Quick Pico de Gallo
Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Quick Pico de Gallo is quick, tasty, and made in just 1 bowl!
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup sour cream (can use low-fat, or regular)
- 3/4 cup jarred salsa verde
- 12 white corn tortillas, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1-15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- For the Pico de Gallo:
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomato halves
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine enchilada sauce, sour cream, and salsa verde in a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Add tortillas, chicken, and black beans, then mix to combine. Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick spray, then pour the mixture inside. Top with cheese, then bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
- For the Pico de Gallo: Combine tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, and the juice of half the lime into a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then stir to combine. Taste, then add the juice from the second lime half if desired.
Recipe from Picky Palate.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
Ahhh, I am so in love with this dish! Not only is it crazy-quick, but it’s satisfying and comforting too. The corn tortillas get thick and creamy, and the whole thing just kind of reminds me of baked nachos. Automatic win.
While the casserole baked, I whipped up a quick Pico de Gallo to spoon on top for a burst of fresh flavor.
It’s just chopped grape tomatoes mixed with cilantro, green onion, lime juice, and salt & pepper. The perfect accompaniment to this pantry meal.