We did a thing… 😂😂😂Hey, when life hands you a quarantine, you set up a bounce house in your living room. Isn’t that how the saying goes?
In related news: the kids are on the up and up, thank goodness! Last week and weekend were extremely stressful but these crazies are pulling through and spirits are high. Clearly! Truly we could be on lock down right now (thinking of those of you who are – I’m sure were not far behind) and I’d still be riding high because these little bits are happy and healthy. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again – what👏🏻a👏🏻cra👏🏻zy👏🏻time.👏🏻 I mean, clearly! I have a freaking bounce house in my living room! And I LIKE it! I don’t even know who I am anymore!
In other news, I’ve had sooo many people asking for easy lunch recipes and ideas now that many are working from home and swinging by the local deli or burger joint isn’t an option. Salads and leftovers are great, but sizzling Tuna Melt Sandwiches are even better!
Gwen and I split a batch of tuna salad for lunch at least a couple days a week. It’s an easy, healthy option for her especially (girlfriend won’t touch a vegetable with a ten foot pole,) and we usually dunk into bowls with almond crackers, but stuffing the mixture between slices of buttered bread with cheddar cheese then sizzling on a hot griddle or skillet until golden brown is a total treat. Plus this protein-packed combo keeps me full until dinner time. If you’ve been struggling with constantly snacking while at home, you won’t even think about it with this filling lunch in your belly.
This is a basic Tuna Melt Sandwich recipe so feel free to add a few slices of fresh tomato between the tuna salad and cheddar before cooking, or open it up after browning to stuff fresh arugula inside. Ok YUM – there’s an idea! I know this easy, fridge and pantry staple recipe will make you jump for joy (#fullcirclemoment) so let’s get after it!
More Easy Lunch Ideas:
- Dill Pickle Tuna Salad >
- BBQ Chicken Quesadillas >
- Apple Tarragon Chicken Salad >
- BLT Egg Salad >
- California Turkey and Bacon Lettuce Wraps >
- Mediterranean Tuna Salad >
- Mediterranean Turkey Wrap >
How to Make It:
My favorite tuna salad is a mixture of a 5oz can wild-caught albacore tuna, drained, plus 3-4 Tablespoons mayonnaise (I use Hellman’s Vegan Mayo for Gwen,) 2 minced pickle spears, and 1/4 teaspoon steak seasoning. Yes, steak seasoning! It’s got all the good stuff. We use a blend from a butcher shop in DC (they don’t sell it anymore but I have a copycat recipe here) though you could simply use salt and pepper or homemade seasoning salt instead.
This is our FAVORITE tuna, by the way. It’s pretty pricey at the regular grocery store but Costco sells them in a stack for a great price. Always a great idea to grab one when you can!
Scoop the tuna salad between two slices of buttered bread (I’m currently obsessed with Franz Gluten Free Bread – another Costco staple of mine!) with a slice of cheddar cheese then cook on a griddle or in a skillet over medium heat until hot and golden brown on both sides. OH MY WORD, such a fabulous step up from your standard tuna salad sandwich. I hope you love this simple, delicious dish – enjoy!
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Tuna Melt Sandwiches
Tuna Melt Sandwiches hot, crispy, cheesy, and filling! This simple yet scrumptious recipe is perfect for an easy yet tasty lunch or dinner.
- 5oz can tuna, drained (I prefer Wild Planet wild albacore tuna)
- 3-4 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 pickle spears, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon steak seasoning (see notes)
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices gluten free bread
- Preheat a large flat skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- In a medium-sized bowl stir together tuna, mayonnaise, minced pickles, and steak seasoning. Butter one side of each slice of bread then flip two over and top each with half the tuna mixture. Add a slice of cheese then cover with remaining slices of buttered bread.
- Place sandwiches onto preheated skillet or griddle then cook until golden brown. Flip then cook until the second side is golden brown and cheese is melted. Remove sandwiches to plates then slice and serve.
- I love this homemade steak seasoning recipe >
- Feel free to add a few fresh tomato slices under the cheese if you have them! This "recipe" is more of an idea so feel free to make it your own.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.