No-Bake S’mores Icebox Cake is a gluten-free and dairy-free dessert recipe that will be a hit with kids and adults alike. Sticky and sweet, just like the real thing!
There’s no question I only post recipes we absolutely LOVE here on IGE – if it’s just “ok” it’s not getting posted. That said, some recipes are easier to photograph than others. While absolutely mouthwatering, dishes like Crispy Crock Pot Carnitas with Egg with Avocado definitely fall in the “tastes better than it looks” category. No-Bake S’mores Icebox Cake though? As fun to look at as it is to eat!
I know a ton of people are already out for the holiday but I had to sneak this gorgeous, dairy-free, gluten-free dessert recipe in before signing off until later this week. It’ll be perfect for your 4th of July bash!
All you have to do is layer gluten-free graham crackers with dark chocolate ganache (ie chocolate chips melted with coconut milk,) and a marshmallow creme filling, then refrigerate overnight. So good and SO EASY!! Super rich too, so get your almond milk ready.
No-Bake S’mores Icebox Cake is gluten-free, of course, but I also made it dairy-free so Lincoln could enjoy a slice too. There’s no way I’d parade around a s’mores-flavored cake without making sure he could have some! That said, I used coconut whipped topping in the marshmallow creme layer and melted the chocolate chips with coconut milk, but if you don’t need to worry about being dairy-free, feel free to use the whipped topping of your choice and/or swap heavy cream for coconut milk.
Sweet marshmallow, creamy chocolate, and that classic graham flavor – you will ADORE this beautiful summery dessert!
Start by making the marshmallow creme mixture. In a large bowl whisk together a 9oz container GF/DF whipped topping and 7.5oz jar marshmallow fluff (this is the only gluten-free brand I’ve found, and I buy it at World Market!) Next fold in 2 cups GF/DF mini marshmallows.
Stash the bowl in the refrigerator while you get the chocolate layer going. You can do this a day ahead of time, FYI!
Reserve 2 Tablespoons chocolate chips from a 9oz bag GF/DF chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life) for topping the cake with, then add the rest of the chips to a medium-sized bowl. Next microwave 3/4 cup lite coconut milk from a can of coconut milk for 45 seconds, or until gently simmering, then pour over the chocolate chips and let sit for 5 minutes before stirring until smooth.
Note: I don’t think the chocolate tastes coconutty but if you have a coconut allergy or total aversion to coconut, sub heavy cream instead.
Assembly time! Line a 9×5″ loaf pan with saran wrap, letting it hang over the sides, then spread 1 cup marshmallow mixture into the bottom in an even layer. Next add enough gluten-free graham crackers to form an even layer. You’ll need 2, 8oz boxes gluten-free graham crackers (I used KinniKinnick S’moreables) for the entire recipe + sprinkling on top as garnish.
Spread another 1 cup marshmallow mixture on top followed by 1/2 cup chocolate mixture.
Repeat the layers – graham crackers, marshmallow mixture, and chocolate – two more times then cover the top with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Last step is to invert the cake onto a cutting board, sprinkle the top with crushed graham crackers and chocolate chips, then slice and serve. I hope you love this FUN, sticky and sweet summery dessert recipe! Enjoy!
No-Bake S’mores Icebox Cake
No-Bake S'mores Icebox Cake is a gluten-free and dairy-free, summer-friendly dessert recipe that will be a hit with kids and adults alike!
- 9oz container dairy-free whipped topping (I used SoDelicious CocoWhip)
- 7.5oz jar gluten-free marshmallow fluff
- 2 cups gluten-free mini marshmallows (I used Elyon)
- 9oz bag dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided (I used Enjoy Life)
- 3/4 cup lite coconut milk (from a can not a carton)
- 2, 8oz boxes gluten-free graham crackers (I used Kinnikinnick S’moreables)
- Combine whipped topping and marshmallow fluff in a large bowl then whisk until smooth (some marshmallow lumps remaining is fine.) Fold in mini marshmallows then refrigerate until well chilled.
- Measure out 2 Tablespoons chocolate chips and reserve, then pour remaining chocolate chips into a medium-sized bowl. Pour coconut milk into a microwave-safe dish then heat for 45 seconds, or until gently simmering. Pour over chocolate chips in the bowl then let sit for 5 minutes before whisking until smooth.
- Line a 5x9” loaf pan with saran wrap, letting it generously hang over the edges, then scoop 1 cup marshmallow mixture into the bottom and spread into an even layer. Next add a layer of graham crackers, cutting or breaking graham crackers to fit into an even layer. Add another 1 cup marshmallow mixture then smooth into an even layer, and then add 1/2 cup of the chocolate mixture and smooth into an even layer.
- Repeat layers - graham crackers, marshmallow mixture, chocolate - two more times. Cover the top with saran wrap then refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, remove saran wrap from the top then invert cake onto a cutting board. Gently pull on overhanging saran wrap to remove the cake from the pan then sprinkle top with reserved chocolate chips and crumbled graham crackers. Slice with a sharp knife then serve.
- If you do not need to eat dairy-free and/or don't like coconut milk, you could sub in heavy cream.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.