Thai Crunch Salad with Thai Peanut Dressing is a light and healthy gluten-free salad recipe that’s packed with savory flavor. This is one salad you will not mind eating!
Raise your hand if you’re craving something fresh, healthy, and NOT made entirely from butter and/or sugar?
Man I love the holidays but over the past few weeks I have eaten crazy amounts of sugar cookies, plenty of Puppy Chow and boatloads of bark. It’s been fun for sure but right now all I want to do is eat a MASSIVE salad. The little boys and I were at my parent’s house yesterday where I made Lincoln a healthy snack of sliced apples and peanut butter…then sat down and chowed down on Lay’s potato chips. #why My point is, unhealthy habits beget unhealthy habits and this freight train needs to be stopped.
Thai Crunch Salad with Thai Peanut Dressing is just the thing to do it!
Like I said, this body is craving all the healthy foods right now. I can feel my energy levels dip as I overindulge in holiday cookies and candy, and ugh – enough is enough. Over it! Ready for all the healthy foods including this yummy, entree salad.
Plenty of crispy coleslaw mix is combined with green onions, red bell pepper, cilantro, peanuts, and chicken then tossed with an easy Thai Peanut Dressing that I had to double the amounts for in the final recipe because I spoon drank too much and didn’t have enough left to dress the salad with. What can I say, self control is not one of my strengths! Anticipating you might find yourself in the same boat, I thought you’d appreciate it.
This healthy salad recipe is super crunchy and filling, plus if you’re a fan of mason jar salads – these work beautifully! Scoop several Tablespoons of the dressing into the bottom of a 16oz mason jar then layer in coleslaw > red pepper > chicken > green onions > peanuts > cilantro. Pour onto a plate at lunchtime, and you’re set.
Now, don’t get me wrong, I think I’ve still got another batch of Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies in me to make for Santa, but until that time I’ll be over here feasting on this fresh, veggie-packed dish!
Start by adding 3 cups coleslaw mix (green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots,) 3 Tablespoons each chopped cilantro and finely chopped peanuts, 2 chopped green onions, 1/2 red bell pepper cut into matchsticks, and 1 chicken breast that’s been cooked and shredded to a large bowl. I poached my chicken breast for about 10 minutes before shredding, but you can cook it any way you like and/or use rotisserie chicken.
Next make the dressing – so good! To a mason jar or small bowl add 4 Tablespoons smooth peanut butter (I used Smucker’s Natural), 2 Tablespoons each honey and warm water, 1-1/2 Tablespoons gluten-free Tamari, 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar, the juice of 1/2 lime, 1 teaspoon each toasted sesame seeds and sesame oil, plus a heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 large clove garlic that’s been minced, salt, and pepper, (and a partridge in a pear tree) then shake or whisk to combine. Whew! Sounds like a lot of ingredients but I always have everything in the house.
Drizzle the dressing on top then toss well and scoop into two bowls with extra lime wedges for drizzling.
I hope you love this fresh and healthy, yet fun and filling salad. One more week of holiday baking madness you guys – enjoy it, then enjoy THIS!
Thai Crunch Salad with Thai Peanut Dressing
Thai Crunch Salad with Thai Peanut Dressing is a light and healthy gluten-free salad recipe that's packed with savory flavor. This is one salad you will not mind eating!
- 3 cups coleslaw mix (green cabbage, red cabbage, carrot mix)
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced into thin matchsticks
- 1 chicken breast, cooked then shredded
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons peanuts, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- For the Thai Peanut Dressing:
- 4 Tablespoons smooth peanut butter (I used Smucker’s Natural)
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons warm water
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons gluten-free Tamari or soy sauce (dish will not be GF if using traditional soy sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- juice of 1/2 large lime (slice remaining 1/2 lime into wedges)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large or 2 small cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- salt and pepper
- Add ingredients for Thai Peanut Dressing into a mason jar or bowl then shake or whisk to combine. Taste then adjust lime juice and/or add water to thin if necessary.
- Add remaining ingredients into a large bowl. Drizzle desired amount of dressing on top then toss well to combine. Scoop into bowls then serve with lime wedges.
- This recipe would make great mason jar salads! To the bottom of a 16oz mason jar, scoop in several Tablespoons dressing then layer salad ingredients in the order listed in the recipe above (coleslaw mix, red pepper, chicken, etc.)
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.