Hi everyone – happy Monday! Can you believe the weekend is already over? Did you do anything fun?
I got bit by the cleaning bug (must have been that sweet cleaning chart in last week’s Friday Favorites,) and scrubbed all the upstairs bedrooms and bathrooms, then laundered every article of washable fabric in the house. I figured that by starting my spring cleaning a little early, mother nature would take notice and deliver a nice warm weekend. No dice.
On Saturday I enjoyed a latte + haircut (feels amazing to get rid of my dry ends, plus I found a stylist I really like at Estilo,) then wine + girl time with a friend and her daughter, who introduced me to the movie Frozen. Ummm, kind of loved it! Yesterday, dunh dunh dunh, the boys and went to Monterrey for lunch. I know, total shocker. All in all a fabulous little weekend filled with equal parts work and play. :)
I also typed up today’s recipe for Cheesy Mushroom and Broccoli Quinoa Casserole – the hearty, meatless meal you’re going to want to whip up ASAP. Because, you know, it’s freezing, and casserole helps!
I was actually reminded of this recipe as I was typing up last week’s 17 Warming Comfort Foods Recipes, which included my Creamy Cheesy Chicken and Garlic Quinoa Bake. Back when I originally made that dish I had this fresh combo of sauteed mushrooms and broccoli in mind, but went with the chicken version instead. Lately I’ve been getting requests for more meatless meals here on IGE though, so I thought I’d whip it up for ya’. Like I always say, ask and I’ll try my best to deliver! :)
Sauteed mushrooms, steamed broccoli, and fluffy quinoa are mixed with a homemade creamy (no cream!) mushroom sauce, and an honorable amount of freshly shredded cheese (I am trying so hard to cut back on cheese but it’s my kryptonite!) then baked until golden brown and bubbly. This casserole is goooooooood. Comforting, creamy, just cheesy enough (like me!) satisfying, and hearty.
I used chicken broth in this recipe because I love it and always have at least half a dozen cartons on hand at home, so it’s not vegetarian, though you could easily swap in vegetable broth to make it so. This recipe makes enough to feed five or six, but if you’ve got a smaller household, no problemo, leftovers reheat beautifully. I’ve also got a Cheeseburger version of this casserole, if you’re interested? Let me know in the comments section below. But first…
Start by rinsing 1-1/2 cups quinoa under cold running water to remove a naturally occurring bitter coating on the outside of the quinoa. I always wet a fine mesh sieve first, then add the dry quinoa. It seems to lessen the amount that falls through the cracks.
Bring 2-3/4 cups chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan then add the quinoa, place a lid on top, turn the heat down, and then simmer until the liquid is nearly absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
Finally, add 2 cups small chopped broccoli florets on top of the quinoa then place a lid back on top of the pan and let it sit off the heat for 10 minutes to steam. Make sure your broccoli is cut small, by the way. If it’s too big it might be a little crunchy in the final dish.
Ok! While the broccoli and quinoa are doing their steamy dance (oolala!) get to work on the mushroom portion of the program. You know I love ’em! First melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat then add 8oz sliced mushrooms, 1 chopped shallot or 1/4 small onion, and salt and pepper. Saute the mushrooms until they’re golden brown then add 3 minced garlic cloves and saute for one more minute.
Add an additional 2 Tablespoons butter then, once it melts, sprinkle in 2 Tablespoons gluten-free flour (or all-purpose flour if you don’t need the dish to be GF.) Stir the flour around then cook for 1 minute. I like Bob Red’s Mill Gluten-Free Rice Flour for thickening soups and sauce, by the way!
Slowly stream in 1 cup each chicken broth and milk (I used 2%) while whisking, then bring the mixture to a bubble while stirring constantly. Turn the heat down to a simmer then season generously with salt and pepper and cook until the mixture is thickened and bubbly, about 5 minutes. This is the creamy, cream-free mushroom sauce I mentioned. It’s absolutely fantastic!
Add the quinoa and broccoli to the skillet along with 1-1/2oz each shredded sharp cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese then mix until combined. Taste then add salt and pepper if needed.
Scoop into a nonstick sprayed 8×8 baking dish then top with an additional 1-1/2oz each cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese, and then bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Let the casserole sit and thicken for 10 minutes (if you can…my mousehole was created immediately,) then scoop and serve!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Cheesy Mushroom and Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
Cheesy Mushroom and Broccoli Quinoa Casserole is a hearty meatless casserole that will get two thumbs up from your family!
- 3-3/4 cup chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups dry quinoa, rinsed very well under cold running water
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 4 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 8oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 shallot or 1/4 small onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free flour (see notes for brand used)
- 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 3oz freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3oz freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with nonstick spray then place on top of a baking sheet and set aside.
- Bring 2-3/4 cups chicken broth to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan then add quinoa, place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium, and then simmer until nearly all the liquid has been absorbed and quinoa is tender, 20 minutes. Add broccoli then place lid back on top, remove from heat, and let steam for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallots, season with salt and pepper, then saute until mushrooms are golden brown. Add garlic then saute for one more minute.
- Add remaining 2 Tablespoons butter then sprinkle in flour when melted and saute for one minute. Slowly stream in remaining 1 cup chicken broth and milk while whisking to avoid lumps. Season generously with salt and pepper then bring mixture to a bubble while stirring constantly. Turn heat down to medium then simmer until thick and bubbly, 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat then stir in the broccoli and quinoa, and half the cheese, then scoop mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top then bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Let sit for 10 minutes before scooping and serving.
- I like Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Rice Flour for thickening soups and sauces.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.