Once upon a time I had a college roommate who believed she could will herself skinny, simply by the power of positive thinking.
Ah, dare to dream!
She insisted she never gained weight from the horrible college food we all ate, simply because she told herself she wouldn’t. I mean, she was thin, and never worked out a single day during the semester we lived together, but I think her trim figure had more to do with her 20 year old metabolism than anything else.
I mean, in the real world, calories count. The 57th tortilla chip you eat at the Mexican restaurant counts. The cheese oozing out of your enchiladas counts. The margarita as big as your head definitely counts!
I got to thinking about my former college roomie because Cinco de Mayo is coming up this weekend and, never one to turn down a reason to celebrate, I know I’ll be devouring some yummy, Mexican-inspired eats. The only problem is, I go tooootally overboard when I eat Mexican food. (See 57th tortilla chip, cheese enchiladas, and bowling ball-sized margarita above!)
Knowing that some of you are in the same boat, I thought I’d share a fun and festive Skinny Sunrise cocktail for the occasion, which only has 145 calories!
Fresh squeezed orange juice, 100% pineapple juice, homemade strawberry simple syrup, and rum (or tequila, or vodka!) are shaken with ice, then poured into a glass and topped with fizzy club soda.
I can’t even begin to describe how sweet & refreshing this cocktail is – and it’s only 145 calories!
Start by making the Strawberry Simple Syrup. This could not be easier and takes like, 4 minutes.
Simply combine 1/2 cup each water and sugar into a small saucepan with 3 large strawberries.
Bring the mixture to a boil, smashing the strawberries while it heats up.
Let the syrup boil continuously for 30 seconds, then remove it from the heat and let it cool.
Pour the syrup into a food processor or blender…
Then let ‘er rip!
Strain out the seeds, then pour into a jar or container with a tight fitting lid.
You know I used a mason jar. ;) Stash in the fridge to cool completely.
When you’re ready to par-tay, grab the rest of your ingredients, including rum (again, vodka or tequila would be great in here, I only had rum on hand) club soda, 100% pineapple juice, and an orange, half of which you’ll need to juice.
Shake the strawberry syrup, pineapple juice, orange juice, and rum with ice, then pour into a glass and top with club soda. I am telling you – grab your shades because you will feel like you are on the beaches of Cancun when you sip these babies!
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Skinny Sunrise Cocktail
Skinny Sunrise Cocktail is a refreshing, sweet, and simple cocktail that clocks in at just 145 calories!
- 2 Tablespoons (1oz) rum (could use any other type of liquor)
- 1 Tablespoon (.5oz) strawberry simple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons (1.5oz) orange juice (about 1/2 navel orange)
- 3 Tablespoons (1.5oz) pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup (2oz) club soda
- For the strawberry simple syrup (makes ~1 cup syrup):
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 large strawberries
- For the strawberry simple syrup: Combine sugar, water, and strawberries into a small saucepan over high heat. Mash strawberries as the mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 30 seconds, then turn off the heat and allow syrup to cool completely. Transfer syrup to a food processor or blender, process until smooth, then strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove the strawberry seeds (optional.) Chill in the fridge.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, then add rum, strawberry simple syrup, orange juice, and pineapple juice. Shake until very cold. Pour into a glass, including the ice, then top with club soda.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.