File Strawberry-Basil Ginger Cocktail under the “where has this recipe been all my life?” section of your recipe binder, because I promise that’s what you’ll be declaring after the first sip!
This fresh-herb and berry cocktail with a splash of fizzy ginger ale (or ginger beer) plus a shot of vodka, is the equivalent to a cold shower after a hot run, lawn mowing session, [enter any outdoor activity here] on a scorching summer day.
Translation: it is the ULTIMATE thirst-quencher, and just as good when served as a mocktail!
The Perfect Summer Drink
I’ve been making this refreshing cocktail since 2015, after spotting it on my friend Dani’s website Thyme is Honey.
“Hmm, strawberry plus basil?” I remember thinking to myself. I was intrigued enough to try, and am SO glad I did. Mint is so often thought of as the go-to herb to pair with fruit, but basil is incredibly delicious too. If you’ve ever had my Peach Caprese Salad or Strawberry-Basil Fried Goat Cheese Chicken Salad, than you’re in the know.
Bonus: both strawberries and basil are in season right now, making this easy vodka cocktail something you can and should enjoy often over the next few months.
Truly I can’t emphasize enough how refreshing this drink is. I literally CRAVE it. Plus it is so easy to make — only 4 ingredients required!
Raid the farmer’s market, or your garden if you’ve got a green thumb, for half the ingredients in this drink recipe. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Strawberries: sweet summer strawberries shine in this drink.
- Basil: unlike many herbs, basil can be super subtle, like it is in this cocktail. That said, feel free to add more or less to your liking.
- Vodka: we keep gluten free Titos vodka in the freezer, but you can use whatever you’ve got on hand.
- Ginger ale or Ginger beer: I like this drink equally when made with ginger ale or ginger beer. I prefer Fever Tree brand of both.
Make it a Mocktail
There are a 1,001 reasons to love a mocktail, which is a cocktail made without alcohol. Whether you don’t drink alcohol, are pregnant, or want something fancy to serve your kids, this drink is JUST as good made without the vodka. My kids go crazy for it!
How to Make this Recipe
Start by adding chopped fresh strawberries and torn fresh basil to a blender then blend until the mixture is very smooth.
Pour the Strawberry-Basil Puree into a jar with a tight fitting lid, or storage container with a lid, then set aside. You can make this up to 2 days ahead of time then refrigerate until you’re ready to sip. You could even freeze it in ice cube trays to enjoy a sip of summer during the season that shall not be named.
FYI: the puree may not taste super sweet, but the ginger ale / ginger beer will bring the drink up to the perfect sweetness level.
When it’s cocktail time, fill a 16oz glass to the top with ice then add vodka, Strawberry-Basil Puree, and fill to the top with ginger ale or ginger beer. Give it a stir then head out to the nearest deck or patio and get to sipping.
This recipe makes 3, 16oz cocktails and divides or multiplies easily. Plus, like I mentioned, the strawberry-basil puree will keep just fine in the refrigerator for a couple of days so you can stretch out the deliciousness.
I hope you LOVE this easy and refreshing summer cocktail recipe as much as I do — enjoy!!
More Refreshing Cocktail Recipes
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Strawberry-Basil Ginger Cocktail
Strawberry-Basil Ginger Cocktail is a refreshing and easy vodka cocktail recipe featuring fresh strawberries and basil. This drink is also great served as a mocktail!
- 6oz (3/4 cup) vodka
- 1 cup strawberry-basil puree (see below)
- 3, 5oz cans ginger ale OR ginger beer (Fever Tree recommended)
- For the Strawberry-Basil Puree (makes ~1 cup):
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 6 basil leaves, torn
- For the Strawberry-Basil Puree: add strawberries and basil to a high powered blender then blend until very smooth. Strain if desired then pour into a mason jar or other container with a tight-fitting lid. Can be made up to 2 days ahead of time.
- Fill 3, 16oz cocktail or pint glasses each to the top with ice. To each glass add 2oz (1/4 cup) vodka, 1/3 cup strawberry-basil puree, and 5oz ginger ale/beer then stir to combine. Alternatively, you can combine the full amounts of vodka, strawberry-basil puree, and ginger ale/beer into a pitcher then stir together to combine. Garnish with a smacked basil leaf and/or sliced strawberries then serve.
- To serve as a mocktail: follow the directions above but omit the vodka.
From Thyme is Honey
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
Photos by Ashley McLaughlin