I humbly present to you my entree recipe for the Breakstone’s Triple Churned Sour Cream Blogger Challenge – Bacon Wrapped Turkey Breast with Creamy Wild Rice Stuffing!
In case you’ve just tuned in, I’m in a contest to incorporate Breakstone’s Triple Churned Sour Cream into three family-favorite Holiday/Thanksgiving dishes. My appetizer is Sweet & Spicy Pepper Jelly Dip and I’ll be posting my dessert recipe, Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies, on Sunday!
I’m up against 2 other bloggers for the win and voting starts next Monday. I’ll fill you in on the deets later! Until then, enjoy this twist on the star of the Thanksgiving day table: Turkey!
Bacon Wrapped Turkey Breast with Creamy Wild Rice Stuffing
& Cranberry-Apple Chutney
For the Bacon Wrapped Turkey:
1 10oz boneless, skinless turkey breast
Salt & pepper
6 slices center cut bacon
For the Stuffing:
1 6oz package wild rice mix|
2 Tablespoons butter
1 rib celery, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons dried cranberries
2 Tablespoons walnut pieces
1/2 cup sour cream
For the Cranberry-Apple Chutney:
1 14oz can whole-berry cranberry sauce
1 small Granny Smith apple, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
Juice of 1 orange
1. Prepare wild rice mix according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté celery and onion until soft, about 6 minutes.
2. Add dried cranberries, walnut pieces and sour cream to the skillet. Heat until sour cream has melted then add cooked wild rice and stir to combine. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butterfly turkey breast by slicing horizontally across the length of the breast, being careful not to cut all the way through, and open like a book. Lay a piece of plastic wrap on top and pound until 1/2 inch thick.
4. Season butterflied turkey breast with salt & pepper, then mound 1 cup wild rice mixture onto one side of the breast, leaving 1/2 inch clear around the edge. Fold the other side over and secure with toothpicks.
5. Lay 6 slices of bacon out on a cutting board. Place the stuffed turkey breast in the middle and fold bacon slices over, trimming any overlapping pieces.
6. Place bacon wrapped turkey breast on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes or until internal stuffing temperature reaches 160 degrees.
7. Allow turkey breast to rest for 10 minutes. Remove toothpicks, slice and serve!
8. For the Cranberry-Apple Chutney: Combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
That’s it! Combine and boil!
American style chutneys usually incorporate fruit, sugar and vinegar (thanks Wikipedia) and my recipe also adds exotic flavors like ginger and garam masala into the mix. So good – give it a try, will ya’?
Voting is now open and I’d so love your support!!! [Edited to add: Contest is now closed!]
With that – I’m to enjoy my FAVORITE night of the week. That’d be Thursday – the last day of my work week and 30 Rock/The Office night!
Do you live close to your family? Have you ever hosted Thanksgiving dinner?
I’m lucky to live less then a MILE from my parents and my brother, sister-in-law and adorable nephew also live nearby. My little brother is in Colorado my in-laws are in D.C. and my extended family is all in Ohio!