As you know, one of Ben’s love languages is smoking meat and I can’t deny that ribs that have been smoked low and slow over hickory wood chips are a total treat. Since most people don’t own a smoker though, I’m sharing an oven-based recipe for ribs that is BEYOND delicious and easy. Yep, you can get lip-smackin’, finger-lickin’ good ribs that fall off the bone from your oven. Don’t believe me? Just you wait!
Baby back ribs are rubbed with everyday spices then marinated in the fridge for a few hours or up to overnight. After a few hours of baking in the oven at a low temperature (not heating up the kitchen, for the win!) they’re rendered succulent and fall apart-tender. Honestly, I cannot stress to you how tender the rib meat gets. Pull on the bone and it slides out completely clean.
I think making ribs at home is something a lot of people find intimidating but honestly it couldn’t be simpler. I’ll show you!
How to Make This Recipe
Start with a 2-1/2lb slab of ribs. Look for ribs that have some fat on top as it will add flavor and juiciness to the meat.
Next, get your homemade rub together. Add 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon each onion powder, cumin, and smoked paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to a small bowl then mix to combine.
Sprinkle both sides of the ribs with the mixture then rub it in and wrap the rack in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge to marinate for 2 hours or up to overnight.
When it’s time to bake, place the ribs on a foil-lined, nonstick-sprayed baking sheet then cover completely with more foil and bake for 3-1/2 hours. If you’re using a larger rack of baby-back ribs, tack on an extra 1/2 hour per pound over 2-1/2lbs.
When time is up, unwrap the ribs then slather the top with your favorite BBQ sauce. Oh, they smell so good!
Pop the rack back in the oven for 30 minutes or until the top has caramelized.
Sweet, sweet OVEN BAKED baby back ribs!
Slice ’em up, and serve ’em hot!
Serve these recipes with your ribs!
- Marinated Vegetable Salad
- The BEST Pasta Salad
- Mojito Fruit Salad
- Crock Pot Baked Beans
- Watermelon Jalapeño Margaritas
- Classic Potato Salad
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Easy Baked Ribs
Easy Baked Ribs are, you guessed it…easy! Succulent, juicy, and fall-off-the-bone-tender, too. Cook ribs in the oven if you don’t own a smoker or grill!
- slab of baby back ribs (could use spare ribs), 2-2-1/2lbs total
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- For the spice rub:
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix spices together in a small bowl then rub into both sides of the ribs, wrap in saran wrap, and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees then line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray. Place ribs on top then cover tightly with more foil and bake for 3-1/2 hours (add more time if your ribs are larger then 2-1/2lbs.) Remove foil, drain any excess liquid from the pan, then brush BBQ sauce on top and bake for 30 more minutes, or until top is slightly caramelized. Slice then serve.
- If using a larger rack of ribs, add 30 minutes baking time per pound past 2-1/2lbs.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.