Now that the sun is going down before the 5:00 news even comes on (thanks for nothing, daylight savings time!) I’m on the hunt for especially quick and easy recipes. I don’t know…when it’s cold and dark out, all I want to do is curl up on the couch in the evenings, not spend a lot of time in the kitchen. That’s why I’m really excited about this recipe for 15 minute Tomato Basil Soup with Cheese Tortellini.
Savory, short-cut tomato broth is brightened with lots of fresh basil, and chewy, cheese tortellini. So ridiculously easy and even more delicious. Best of all, it cooks in under 15 minutes.
If you’ve been reading this blog for any length of time then you know I hate traditional tomato soup. You know, the canned and condensed kind? Won’t touch it with a 10 foot pole. This soup, though? I am all over it. You’ve got to give it a try!
Start by sauteing 1 large shallot and 3 garlic cloves in 2 Tablespoons butter until tender. Don’t skip the butter as it gives the soup an amazing richness. You could also use a small onion in place of the shallot. I tend to use shallots because they’re milder than onions which hurt Ben’s stomach!
Next add 48oz chicken broth…
And 24oz REALLY GOOD marinara sauce. This is the secret ingredient to get amazing flavor in just 15 minutes! Marinara sauce already has all the veggies and spices slow cooked with tomatoes, which makes each spoonful taste like it was slow cooked all day.
Now, I would not recommend using Prego or Ragu in here, rather, try and find a really high-quality jar of marinara sauce. Locals – I have to give it up to Ginos!
Add 3/4 cup fresh basil that’s been chopped (about a 3/4oz clamshell) then bring the soup to a boil.
Finally, carefully drop in 16oz fresh or frozen cheese tortellini or mini ravioli then place a lid on top, turn the soup down to medium, and then simmer until the tortellini are tender.
One the tortellini are tender, scoop and serve!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Tomato Basil Soup with Cheese Tortellini
Tomato Basil Soup with Cheese Tortellini is ready in just 15 minutes. Perfect for busy nights!
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot or 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper
- 48oz chicken broth
- 24oz high quality marinara sauce
- 3/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (3/4oz package basil)
- 16oz fresh or frozen cheese tortellini (could also use mini ravioli)
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add shallots (or onions) then season with salt and pepper and saute until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic then saute for 30 more seconds. Add chicken broth, marinara sauce, and fresh basil then turn heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Carefully add tortellini to boiling soup then place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium, and then cook until tender.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.