Raise your hand if you can remember many a summer evening when you were little spent hunched over a crackling bonfire, hot faced and facing a flaming marshmallow at the end of a long stick?
That’s right. Toasted, schmoasted – team char!
If you were lucky, someone would be standing nearby with a graham cracker half topped with Hershey chocolate squares waiting to scrape the molten ‘mallows from your stick with another graham cracker, handing it over so you could feast. Sticky fingers and face soon followed. Ahhhh, those were the days!
As an adult, the excuse to strike up a bonfire seems harder to come by (although, check this baby out from a recent friend-gathering!) so making s’mores indoors is often the best way to crush that summertime craving. That’s when S’more Rice Krispie Treats come in handy!
Double-decker Rice Krispie Treats smoosh the classic bonfire combo of sticky marshmallow, sweet chocolate, and crunchy graham cracker in this decadent, over the top treat. These are such a fun and ridiculous take on the standard s’more!
Ben and I actually have a little fire pit in the backyard of our new house, so I bought the ingredients to make s’mores for when we had our friends and their kids over last week. Well the call of the basketball hoop out front won over striking up a roaring fire after dinner, so I had all the ingredients on hand to make these sweet treats this week. I ate three, cough, in one sitting, cough, then sent the rest of ’em to work with Ben. I could have easily polished off the entire batch!
Start by making the classic rice krispie treat layers. Melt 3 Tablespoons butter in a large pot then add 10oz mini marshmallows. I used large marshmallows because my mini ones were stale and they worked just fine. Just took a bit longer to melt is all.
Stir until the marshmallows are smooth then take the pot off the heat and add 6 cups rice krispies cereal. Stir, stir, stir!
Working quickly press half the rice krispie treats into the bottom of a nonstick sprayed 8×8 pan. I spray the bottom of a cup to help press it into an even layer.
Next spread 1 cup melted semi-sweet chocolate on top.
I melted the chocolate before making the rice krispie treats so it was ready for me, then zapped it for an extra 20 seconds since it had cooled down a bit.
Next, layer on 9 graham cracker halves (4-1/2 graham cracker sheets, y’all.)
Then spread 3-1/2oz marshmallow fluff on top.
I also spooned this into a microwave-safe bowl before making the rice krispie treats, then zapped it for 20 seconds right before spreading.
Spoon the remaining rice kristpie treats on top then press again with a nonstick sprayed glass to achieve an even layer.
Topping time! The S’more Rice Krispie Treats are perfectly amazing on their own, but I thought a nice topping of extra melted chocolate and crumbled graham crackers would really take ’em over the top.
Let the S’more Rice Krispie Treats set for at least 30 minutes then slice into 16 squares with a very sharp knife. Dish, and devour!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
S’More Rice Krispie Treats
Crispy, ooey-gooey S'More Rice Krispie Treats are a fun and festive twist on classic s'mores!
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 10oz mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3-1/2oz marshmallow fluff
- 6 sheets graham crackers (12 halves), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable or canola oil
- Spray an 8x8 baking dish liberally with non stick spray then set aside. Place 1 cup chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl then microwave in 20 seconds increments, stirring between increments, until melted and smooth. Set aside. Place marshmallow fluff in a microwave-safe bowl then set aside.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add marshmallows then stir until smooth. Add Rice Krispies then stir until well combined. Working quickly, scoop half of the mixture into the prepared baking dish then press into an even layer (I spray the bottom of a glass with nonstick spray to help press.) Pour melted chocolate over rice krispie treats layer then smooth with a spatula. Add 9 of the graham cracker halves on top. Microwave marshmallow fluff for 20 seconds then spread on top of graham crackers.
- Spoon remaining rice krispie treats on top of marshmallow fluff layer then press lightly to smooth. Melt remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips with vegetable oil in a microwave-safe bowl in 20 second increments, stirring between increments, until melted and smooth. Drizzle on top of rice krispie treats. Crumble 3 remaining graham crackers halves then sprinkle on top. Allow rice krispie treats to set for 30 minutes before slicing into 16 squares with a sharp knife and serving.
Adapted from Real Simple Magazine.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
Chewy, gooey, sticky, sweet – all the fantastic s’more flavor, just kicked up a few thousand notches! Enjoy!