Fall is undeniably in the air and the cooler weather plus back to school crazies has given me the perfect excuse to whip out a tried and true recipe – Three-Cheese Skillet Lasagna!
Lasagna is one of my favorite comfort foods but, let’s be honest, it takes forever to assemble. Saute this layer, mix that layer, layer all the layers, then bake forever. The final product’s worth it for sure, but there’s an easier way to get the flavor without all the fuss.
30 minutes, 3 cheeses, 1 skillet = Three-Cheese Skillet Lasagna! Honestly, cool weather, hot weather, this recipe is awesome for enjoying the cozy, comforting flavor of lasagna on the fly. Throw all the ingredients together into one skillet then simmer. Presto – lasagna!
- Since my skillet lasagna is made in just one skillet, it’s a cinch to clean up. Perfect for busy weeknights and any-paced evening in between.
- You do not need to cook the noodles before adding to the skillet. Again, this entire dish cooks together in just one skillet. I’m showing rotini here, but feel free to use any short-cut pasta you’ve got on hand. Elbow, penne, etc.
- This recipe feeds a crowd, and reheats well if you’ve got leftovers (BIG IF there!) ;)
How to Make This Recipe:
Start by browning ground beef with chopped shallot (or onion), garlic cloves, salt, and pepper in a very large, oven-proof skillet – I used a 12″ skillet. Drain if necessary, then return to the skillet.
Next add a jar of your favorite marinara sauce (team Ginos here!) water, and Italian Seasoning then bring to a boil.
Next stir in gluten-free or regular rotini, or other short cut pasta.
Place a lid on top then simmer the pasta for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the pasta is just under al dente. You still want the pasta to have a bite in the center as the heat from the skillet will continue cooking it. Remove the skillet from the heat then stir in ricotta and shredded mozzarella cheese, aka cheese one and two of three!
By the way, you could use low-fat ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, but the full-fat versions are just so dang delicious in here. Smooth, creamy, decadent. Go for it!
Lastly, dollop more ricotta cheese on top of the skillet followed by more shredded mozzarella cheese, AND grated parmesan cheese (the third cheese!)
Pop the skillet under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, or until the mozzarella and parmesan are golden brown, and the ricotta cheese is hot and creamy.
Scoop onto plates then dig in! This lasagna makes a TON, but at the same time, it’s a two-plate recipe. As in, you’ll be back for seconds. The hot ricotta, cozy noodles and sauce, and gooey mozzarella are irresistible! Enjoy, enjoy!
- Italian Rice Ball Skillet >
- Gluten Free Baked Ziti >
- Pizza Pasta Bake >
- One-Pan Italian Sausage and Peppers Pasta >
- Skillet Chicken Parmesan >
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Three-Cheese Skillet Lasagna
Three-Cheese Skillet Lasagna has all the flavor of classic lasagna, but is made in just one skillet. Easy, cheesy, and ready in 30 minutes!
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1 large shallot or 1/2 small onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic
- salt & pepper
- 24-26oz marinara sauce (some jars have more than others)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2lb gluten-free or regular rotini (or other short cut pasta)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat broiler. Add ground beef, shallots, and garlic to a very large, oven-proof skillet (I used a 12" skillet) over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper then cook until beef is no longer pink. Drain if necessary then return to skillet. Add marinara sauce, water, and Italian seasoning then turn heat up to high and bring mixture to a boil.
- Add dry pasta then stir to combine. Turn heat down to medium-high then cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until noodles are just barely al dente - it should still have a little bite in the center (do not overcook.)
- Remove skillet from heat then stir in 1/4 cup each ricotta and mozzarella cheese. Dollop remaining ricotta cheese on top then sprinkle remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top and broil until golden brown.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
join the conversation
This was so good! It is now going into the regular rotation of family meals. Thanks for all the great ideas that I get from you.
I’m so glad you are loving the recipes, Andrea! Thrilled this one was a hit for you and your family!
Shannon C 12.03.2018
This was really good and comforting. The whole family loved it and asked me to add it to rotation!
Cheesy Spaghetti – Vegitaricant 02.16.2017
[…] Original Recipe from Iowa Girl Eats […]
Scenes From Thanksgiving Weekend 2016 | Live Half Full 11.28.2016
[…] weekend ended with a few glasses of wine and one of my favorite Sunday night dinners, three cheese skillet lasagna. Then we finished up the last two Gilmore Girls episodes and it was the perfect way to beat the […]