I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to share the recipe for Green Beans and Bacon with you! This simple yet special side dish has been a staple at my family’s table for as long as I’ve been alive. My Mom makes it for every major holiday – Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving – plus it makes an appearance often in the summer time when green beans are at their freshest.
Best of all? This luscious, craveable side dish takes just 15 minutes to make!
In a world full of complicated side dishes, this recipe stands out not only for its deliciousness but ease of preparation. 15 minutes, 1 skillet, plus – BACON, my friends. The holidays just wouldn’t be the same without it.
My Mom’s recipe calls for sautéing onions with bacon then tossing with freshly steamed green beans. I went ahead and did the dang thing and sauted raw green beans straight in bacon grease until they were blistered and permeated with bacon flavor. You’re welcome!
How to Make Green Beans and Bacon
Start by sautéing chopped bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the bacon starts to render its fat add garlic cloves that have been peeled but left whole and chopped shallot or onion. Saute until the bacon is crisp then remove the mixture to a plate and set aside.
Remove all but 1 Tablespoon bacon grease from the skillet then add trimmed fresh green beans and season with salt and pepper. Saute until the beans are blistered and crisp-tender, 5-7 minutes.
Scoop the bacon and shallot mixture back into the skillet with the green beans then toss to combine. I am telling you – these green beans with bacon are luscious. I love how the garlic flavor permeates the bacon. That’s right – garlic bacon! Mmmm, mm, mm. Green Beans and Bacon are such a great. Enjoy!
free email bonus!
Dinner Made EASY!
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
15-Minute Green Beans and Bacon
15-Minute Green Beans and Bacon is a quick and easy side dish that's perfect for holidays or an everyday dinner!
- 1/2lb bacon, chopped
- 1 large shallot or 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- 1lb trimmed fresh green beans
- salt and pepper
- Add bacon to a large, deep skillet over medium heat. When the fat begins to render out, add shallots and garlic cloves then saute until bacon is browned but not too crispy, stirring occasionally. Scoop bacon and shallot mixture to a bowl then remove garlic cloves and set aside.
- Remove all but 1 Tablespoon bacon grease from the skillet then add green beans and turn heat up slightly. Season with salt and pepper then saute until tender, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir bacon and shallot mixture back in then serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.