Apple-Cheddar Stuffed Chicken with Apple-Dijon Pan Sauce is a delicious, gluten-free dinner recipe that comes together in minutes using fridge and pantry staples.
It’s been a hot minute since I shared a chicken recipe with you, which makes Apple-Cheddar Stuffed Chicken with Apple-Dijon Pan Sauce all the more exciting to post today. This dish looks and sounds fancy, but’s it’s simple and made in just 1 skillet. Oh, it’s also another recipe brought to you by chef Ben!
Now, I’m a dash of this, pinch of that kind of a cook, meaning that when I’m “free cooking,” aka not making something for the blog, I don’t really need a recipe – just a general idea of what I want to end up with. That being said, I’m not awesome at concocting a dish out of thin air just by looking at what we’ve got on hand in the fridge or pantry.
Ben on the other hand is awesome at it, crafting such lovely dishes as Ben’s Chicken, Bacon and Rice Bowls, Ben’s Beef Stew (a mega hit on the blog,) Black Bean and Chicken Nachos, and this stuffed chicken after simply digging around in the cupboards for a bit.
After spying some apple juice in the fridge leftover from my attempt at making Honey-Roasted Garlic Crock Pot Ribs a few weeks ago (they still need some work,) chicken breasts, an apple in the fruit drawer, and a block of cheddar cheese – this is what he came up with. We didn’t have to buy a thing! And it was so delicious that I immediately grilled him on how he made it so I could share it with you.
Chicken breasts are stuffed with a fresh apple, cheddar, and herb stuffing then pan fried and roasted quickly in the oven, and then topped with a luscious, 5 minute apple-dijon pan sauce. It’s insanely delicious. You’re going to want to make this dish ASAP!
Start by cutting pockets into 4 chicken breasts. Using a sharp knife, cut into the chicken horizontally being careful not to cut all the way through. My chicken breasts were a tiiiiiiny bit frozen in the center which helped with this step, actually!
Next get the stuffing ready. In a small bowl combine 1 small peeled then chopped apple (red or green – use whatever you’ve got,) 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Stuffing = done.
Stuff 1/4 of the mixture into each chicken pocket then close ‘er on up! You can use a couple of toothpicks to shut the pockets if you’re worried about the filling falling out or, if you’re lazy like me, you can take your chances. :)
Next combine 1/4 cup flour (I used brown rice flour,) a pinch of dried thyme, and lots of salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dunk both sides of the chicken into the mixture then tap any excess off. This step not only gives the chicken a nice coating on the outside, but it also helps thicken the apple-dijon pan sauce.
Time to cook! Heat 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a very large skillet over medium-high heat then add the chicken and saute for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown on one side. It’s ok if the chicken is still a bit pink on the inside as it will finish cooking in the oven. Flip the chicken then saute for another 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, then transfer the chicken to a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes, or until cooked all the way through.
While the chicken’s in the oven, get that crazy-good pan sauce ready! Crank the heat to high then add 3/4 cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup apple juice, 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard, 1-1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (could use rice vinegar,) and a pinch of dried thyme to the skillet.
Whisk to combine then let the sauce boil until thickened and reduced, about 5 minutes. Taste then add salt and pepper if necessary.
Plate the chicken then drizzle the luscious sauce on top!
Apple-Cheddar Stuffed Chicken with Apple-Dijon Pan Sauce
Apple-Cheddar Stuffed Chicken with Apple-Dijon Pan Sauce is a delicious, gluten-free toss-together supper using fridge and pantry staples.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 small apple, peeled and chopped small
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme + a pinch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup flour (I used brown rice flour)
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 Tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (could use rice vinegar)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees then get out a baking sheet and set aside. Using a sharp knife, cut a pocket horizontally into each chicken breast then set aside. Mix apples, cheese, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, dried oregano, salt, and pepper in a small bowl then stuff chicken with a quarter of the mixture (may have a bit leftover.) Close with toothpicks if desired.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish then dredge chicken breasts in mixture, tapping excess flour off. Place chicken into skillet then saute until golden brown on one side, 4-5 minutes. Flip then saute until other side is golden brown, 3-4 minutes and then transfer chicken to baking sheet and place into the oven to finish cooking through, 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add chicken broth, apple juice, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of dried thyme to skillet then turn heat to high. Cook until sauce has reduced, about 5 minutes, then taste and add salt and pepper if necessary. Plate chicken then drizzle with pan sauce.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
This chicken is so fabulous. The apples retain a little bite and you can never go wrong with the classic apple + cheddar combo. The herbs add a touch of elegance and I’m telling you, that pan sauce…to die for! Let us know what you think, and enjoy!