I’ve got a must-try salad recipe for you: BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad! This filling entree salad combines crisp romaine lettuce with BBQ chicken, grilled corn, black beans, fresh tomatoes, crushed tortilla chips (my favorite part) and red onions, drizzled with the can’t-miss combo of Ranch dressing and smoky BBQ sauce.
It is bold, zesty, fresh, quick, and easy. A party on a plate!
Sometimes eating salads can get boring and repetitive, but this is one fresh chicken salad you’ll be dreaming about making over and over and over again. It’s the fresh, summery toppings, for me.
Make/chop everything once, then toss together for salads all week long. Again, do not forget the crushed tortilla chips!
Start by brushing 2 chicken breasts that have been pounded thin with extra virgin olive oil then season with salt and pepper. Grill for 3-4 minutes a side over medium-high heat, brushing the grilled side with BBQ sauce after flipping once. Put the lid down then let the BBQ sauce sizzle and caramelize as the second side cooks.
Pop 2 ears sweet corn on the grill next door then rotate occasionally until all sides are evenly charred.
Pull the chicken and corn off the grill, let cool slightly, then chop the chicken and slice the kernels off the corn and set aside.
Next get the rest of the chopped salad ingredients ready, starting with the salad base – romaine lettuce. For 4 people you’ll want 2-10oz bags of chopped romaine lettuce.
Place the lettuce into a huge bowl (might want to do this in a few batches,) then use a pizza cutter to chop it up into small, bite-sized pieces.
To the chopped lettuce add 2 chopped vine-ripened tomatoes, 1/2 small chopped red onion,
1 cup black beans, and the kernels from the grilled corn.
Finally, add a big handful of crushed tortilla chips (however many you want) and 1/2 cup each shredded Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese. These two ingredients are my secret salad weapons. The chips add an awesome, unexpected crunch, and the mixture of cheeses is just right.
Add the chopped chicken then, using a pair of tongs, toss the salad ingredients together.
I like to dress my salad with a mixture of Ranch dressing and BBQ sauce, which really drives the flavor of the smokey-sweet BBQ chicken home, but use whatever your heart desires. Dress then toss again to combine, plate, and serve!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime
BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad
BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad is a party on a plate! This filling entree salad is full of bold, BBQ flavors.
- 2 chicken breasts, pounded thin
- extra virgin olive oil, salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 ears sweet corn
- 2-10oz bags chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- crushed tortilla chips
- Ranch dressing
- BBQ sauce
- Brush chicken breasts with extra virgin olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes a side, brushing grilled side with BBQ sauce after flipping once. Grill ears of corn, rotating occasionally, until evenly charred. Remove chicken and corn, let cool slightly, then chop chicken and slice corn kernels off cob and set aside.
- In a very large bowl add lettuce (may need to do this in a couple batches.) Use a pizza cutter to evenly chop lettuce into small pieces then toss with tomatoes, black beans, red onion, cheeses, tortilla chips, chicken, and corn. Drizzle with ranch dressing and bbq sauce (or your favorite dressing) then toss and serve immediately.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.