Oh, hi! I’ve temporarily resurfaced from the depths of my soup pot to share a must-try recipe for Cheesy Chicken and Rice Soup with you!
I started cooking today with every intention of making a big pot of my Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup to have on hand for lunches all week, but started craving something a bit creamier…and made with rice instead of noodles…and cheese. There had to be cheese!
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Soup is what I came up with, and it is so hearty, creamy, and delicious that I literally had to override control of my right hand with my left to stop eating it spoonful by steamy spoonful straight from the soup pot, and pour myself a dang bowl already. That’s how good this soup is!
I’m not sure what I like best – the creamy rice, tender vegetables, flavor-packed broth, or the cheese. Probably the cheese.
How to Make Cheesy Chicken and Rice Soup:
Start by prepping the vegetable base. I pretty much use 1 stalk celery, 1 large carrot, and 1/4 small onion as the base of all of my soups, and this one is no different.
Add the vegetables to a large soup pot over medium heat with 1 Tablespoon each butter and extra virgin olive oil then saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Add 2 minced garlic cloves then cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly.
After the vegetables are soft, add 3/4lbs cooked diced or shredded chicken.
To the chicken and vegetables add 6 cups chicken broth, and 1/3-4 cups skim milk.
Followed by 1 bay leaf and a 2×2″ parmesan cheese rind. The cheese rind is optional, btw, but it adds SO. MUCH. FLAVOR. I get a big package of them from Whole Foods for super cheap and keep on hand in the freezer to pull out when I’m making soups.
Bring the soup to a boil then stir in 1 cup long grain white rice, place a lid on the pot, then cook for 15 minutes or until the rice is just barely tender.
Finally, whisk together 1/4 cup milk with 1/4 cup gluten-free or all-purpose flour in a small bowl, then stream into the soup and cook for 5 more minutes to get rid of the raw flour taste. The addition of this milk/flour slurry makes the soup wonderfully thick and creamy, without having to add any heavy cream.
Right now the soup is absolutely delicious on its own. You could serve as-is and have one of the best bowls of soup ever – BUT – the addition of 8oz shredded cheese takes this soup straight over the top.
I use a mixture of both smoked and sharp cheddar cheeses, and parmesan cheese, which I stirred into the soup until smooth, then served. Whatever you use, just make sure it’s freshly shredded/grated – it will make all the difference in the world!
free email bonus
Dinner Made EASY
5 days of simple yet flavorful recipes that take the stress out of dinnertime!
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Soup
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Soup is hearty, creamy, and delicious. The ultimate in comfort food!
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 small onion, minced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4lb cooked chicken, shredded or chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups skim milk, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 2x2" parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/4 cup gluten-free or all-purpose flour (I like Bob's Red Mill White Rice Flour)
- 8oz shredded cheese (I used a mix of smoked cheddar, sharp cheddar, and fresh grated parmesan)
- Melt butter and oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery, season with salt and pepper, then saute for 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add garlic cloves then cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly. Add chicken, season with more salt and pepper (if chicken is unseasoned) then stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth, 1-3/4 cups milk, bay leaf, and parmesan cheese rind, if using, to the pot. Turn heat up to bring to a boil then add rice and stir to combine. Place a lid on top then turn heat down to medium-low and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender.
- In a small bowl whisk together remaining 1/4 cup milk with flour. Stream into soup, stir to combine, then cook uncovered for 5 more minutes. Turn off heat and remove pot from burner then add cheese and stir until smooth. Let soup sit and thicken for 10 minutes then serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
See how thick and creamy this soup is?! All from a little skim milk and flour, and a modest amount of cheese – especially when you consider how many servings a big pot of Cheesy Chicken and Rice Soup makes. Such a winner, this one. I hope you love it!