You guys, I think figured it out. I know where all the cowboys have gone! To my house for Cheesy Taco Soup!
Bahahaha, ok I’ve been waiting to use that line for weeks, ever since picking up this adorable, western-themed placemat, but seriously, I’m serious. Cowboys and cowgirls alike will flock to the kitchen for this hot and hearty Cheesy Taco Soup. It’s a stick to yar ribs type meal that everyone will love.
Ben and I awoke to a -3 degree morning with -30 wind chills to look forward to. Translation: we won’t be going a-n-y-where today. Luckily I planned ahead and bought the ingredients to make us a big vat of Cheesy Taco Soup for lunch.
This Cheesy Taco Soup is thick, hearty, and loaded with yummy, taco-inspired ingredients like ground beef, black beans, cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes with green chilis, homemade “condensed” nacho cheese soup, and beans. This cowboy-approved soup has some serious staying power!
How to Make Cheesy Taco Soup:
Start by browning 1lb ground beef in a large soup pot with salt & pepper until no longer pink, then drain and return to the pot.
Meanwhile, get to work on that homemade cheese sauce which will give the soup a luxuriously thick texture, and unmistakable cheesy flavor. Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat then sprinkle in 2 Tablespoons gluten-free or all-purpose flour.
Whisk while cooking for about 1 minute, then slowly whisk in 1 cup milk (I used skim.) Season with salt and pepper then switch to a wooden spoon and stir until nice and thick, about 3-4 minutes.
Take the pan off the heat, then stir in 1 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese until smooth. That’s it!
To the beef, add 1 package taco seasoning and a 10oz can Rotel to the ground beef.
Then add 1 can drained and rinsed black beans, and the homemade cheese sauce.
Finally, add 1-1/2 cups milk and stir everything together.
Simmer the soup for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then ladle into bowls and top with more shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips for crunch!
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Cheesy Taco Soup
Cheesy Taco Soup is loaded with taco-inspired ingredients and a homemade gluten-free cheese sauce. No condensed soup needed!
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons gluten-free or all-purpose flour (I like Bob's Red Mill White Rice Flour )
- 2-1/2 cups milk, divided
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 10oz can Rotel, undrained
- 15oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Brown ground beef in a large soup pot over medium-high heat, seasoning with salt and pepper, until no longer pink. Drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat then whisk in flour and cook for one minute. Slowly whisk in 1 cup milk, season with salt and pepper, then switch to a wooden spoon and stir mixture until thickened, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat then stir in shredded cheese until smooth. Set aside.
- Add taco seasoning, rotel, black beans, cheese sauce, and remaining 1-1/2 cups milk into cooked ground beef then stir well to combine. Bring to a heavy simmer then turn heat down to medium and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with crushed tortilla chips and more shredded cheese, if desired.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com.
I loved the combo of black beans and beef in here, though you could use ground turkey or even shredded chicken in place of the beef, and any bean you like!